Big Horse Doesn’t Respect Space

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Ally Hembd, Jan 26, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Short memory, you. Like the horse pulling your pants off, got the CRS, don't ya.

Mirage and mooselady like this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I give treats because I like giving treats. I like the cute faces, the little tippy ears, the soft nickers, the silky nose brushing against my hand. I like the satisfied expression on the face of a horse eating peppermint patties or bananas.
    I give treats because it is enjoyable for all parties involved.
    It would not even occur to me to use them for training something as basic as 'don't run me over'. I have a strong dislike for being trampled and while I thankfully haven't had to train that into a horse, I train the cows not to run me over by reminding them that if they knock me down and trample me, they just might die a swift and painful death when I get back up.

GONE ROPING, bellalou, Sam C. and 3 others like this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Treats are and were something they got when work was done and they were back in their paddocks/stalls. Also, they get a treat while they are in their stalls at night check. Never for doing something correctly while training, that was the release from pressure, or a pat and a good boy, good job.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

You don't need my help in making up stuff about me, like what you just said about me wanting the horse all over me when I give treats. That's just not true.

5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

That behaviour in the video was definitely not play-aggression like in a play-fight between two young pasture buddies. The gray wanted to chase that person out of his personal space and meant business. This motivation competed with his eagerness to get the treats. Then in addition all the high energy running around that hyped him up.

A person knowing what he is doing could probably have corrected this behaviour in a few sessions.

manesntails likes this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

A person who knows what he's doing wouldn't be doing that stuff at all.

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

There are very knowledgeable people who do trick trainig, train circus horses, horsees for shows, movies and TV.

There are even horse agility competitions. And why not? If you know what you are doing liberty training is certainly healthy mental stimulation for a bored paddock potatoe.

manesntails likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

LOL.

There is no evidence that horses are bored by standing around, whether that standing around is occurring in a paddock, pasture or stall. In fact, horses appear to LOVE standing around doing what humans think is boring. Horses like nothing more than eating grass and standing around a bunch of other horses that are basically doing absolutely nothing. They love that.

Yes, horses, usually younger ones, will show occasional outbursts of irresponsible gaiety and run around. Usually, after a few minutes, they get this look on their faces like 'I wonder why I just did that', and then they go back to what humans think is 'boring' - standing around, or even better, standing around eating. Sometimes they will chew on wood things if no grass things are around.

The happiest horses I've ever seen, were standing around, lower lip hanging, one hind foot cazh, flicking their tails occasionally and - yes - doing nothing.

Boredom is a human problem. Horses that are supposedly misbehaving out of 'boredom' are generally not getting adequate exercise/are overfed, and so are fresh, or are misbehaving due to poor handling and riding/training. But humans prefer to say the horse is bored. Why, I will never know.

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

You mean boredom breakers?

It's an interesting thought, why is it some horses can stand tied up, and go to sleep waiting until something happens, others like Fergie are bad mannered about it, and still she paws when she has to stand too long..I don't call that boredom so much as attitude, a bad one that we are still trying to eradicate.

Gibbs I swear got bored, if he was tied for what he thought was too long he would undo his rope, he would pick up anything lying around him and play with it. I was just thinking the other day why I'm still trying gates at home here, now I only have Ace I barely need to close them, certainly don't need to tie them. I can hang blankets on the gate or round pen to dry with out someone trying to take them away....

I don't know, I believe some horses get bored.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

WAIT JUST A SECOND HERE.
    Don't you argue that some horses (usually warmbloods) need to get lots and lots of healthy exercise to stay sane? And that regular turnout is simply not enough?

'Needs regular mental and physical stimulation to stay sane' sounds a LOT like 'horses can't stand being bored'.

kodemiester and manesntails like this.