Big belly showing ribs?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rae, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Rae

Rae Senior Member+

I posted a few weeks ago about my coming two-year-old, Rose, having a big belly. Never really figured out what was going on, but, I got her some Sand Clear, thinking maybe it could be sand colic. Well, a day or so ago I noticed her ribs. I think, since it's been fairly warm out the last couple days, her winter coat isn't fluffed up as much, so now, I can see and feel her ribs. Her belly is pretty big and round, how on earth are her ribs showing? Do the ribs show with hay bellies? I could try to get some pics, I don't know if it would be noticeable in them or not. I know yearlings tend to have bigger bellies, but, it's kinda crazy. I got her in August from a guy who got her at auction, so it is entirely possible that she's been exposed to a stallion.

She gets about two cups of a pellet feed & one cup of alfalfa twice a day, which is pretty much the same I've been feeding since I got her, except recently I switched her to the pellet from grain, thinking the grain might've been upsetting her tummy.

Anyway, I just wanted to find out how her belly could be so big and she's showing rib. :confused: Any ideas? Could she be losing weight? Or am I just paranoid?

2. littlecelticpony

littlecelticpony Senior Member+

When was the last time she was dewormed?

3. Madick

Madick Senior Member

A young horse with big belly but ribs showing I would first do a FEC on, and also adjust the feeding to give more protein. How is her back and rump looking?

4. Rae

Rae Senior Member+

It's actually been too long since she's been dewormed, I've been meaning to and keep forgetting. :eek: I will do it tonight at feeding time, though.

I thought a horse with a wormload big enough to make the belly big would show worms in their stools? Because her stools look normal, I haven't seen anything odd at all. Or does that depend on the type of worm?

Her back is kinda flat at the top of the ribs, I don't know if that makes sense. Other than a big belly, she looks fine.

Here's a pic from 11/27, still pretty much what she looks like. You can kinda see how her back is flat then curves down following her ribs, I just assume that's how she's built.
    [​IMG]

Side view, same day. It's more noticeable from the front or back.
    [​IMG]

5. shymare

shymare Senior Member

If she has a tape worm, then it's quite possible you wouldn't see anything in her stool. Definately try deworming her. I seriously think it's parasites.

6. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member+

Since she's only two, she could just be going through one of those ugly growth stages. But, better safe than sorry.

7. morgan21

morgan21 Senior Member+

How much hay is she getting?

8. oldhag

oldhag Senior Member+

yes, I'd like to know if she's getting enough hay.

9. horsegent

horsegent Senior Member+

I know this will probably earn me negative feedback but I need to be frank. If you are going to own horses (or any other animal come to that) then you have to take full responsibility for managing their health and welfare.

And you don't mean to do things and then forget. If you are that sort of person, then you are not suitable to undertake the privilege of owning a horse.

So you need to think very carefully about what you are up to and either be responsible and ensure you know how to look after it and DO IT or rehome it to someone who isn't likely to forget the essentials.

Also I don't know what else your horse is eating or how you are keeping her: i.e. in or out but it may well be that you are not giving sufficient food for a growing youngster.

JustiaOneSecret, Oh'When and Xiphias like this.
  10. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

Oh my! do you forget to feed her sometimes too? or just mean to get around to feeding when you remember? Taking care of horses is not something that you just try to remember to do or mean to get around to it, it is a commitment! Horsegent is right, if you cannot take proper care, then maybe someone else would give your horse a better home.....Cathy

freedom32, Dancinglite and madvoice like this.