Betadine and Sugar

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by babyruth, May 27, 2005.

1. babyruth

babyruth Senior Member+

I was watching emergency vets or animal cops or something like that one night and a vet was mixing sugar with betadine to pack an open cut - but I can't remember what the benefit of the sugar was. Have any of you heard of doing that? If so, do you remember why and what the sugar does? I was trying to remember and it is driving me nuts!

2. Jeblina

Jeblina Senior Member+

I'm not 100% positive....but I think it has to do with drawing infection out....(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

3. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

Yup, it was to draw out the infection, I had never heard of it before until that show.

4. babyruth

babyruth Senior Member+

Thanks! That does sound right! I was starting to think I had dreamed it and was making stuff up in my head!

5. steeledancer

steeledancer Senior Member+

Yes, the sugar draws out the infection. A friend of mine used that mix on her mare's hooves while she recovered from very serious founder, under the instruction of her farrier, who had cut away all the dead tissue. Her mare made a complete recovery, despite the 5% chance of being rideable, and 20% chance of her even surviving that the vets at the University gave her.

Bread, white sugar and milk also makes a good poultice for drawing out infection, for horses and people alike. :)

6. Jubilee Farm

Jubilee Farm Senior Member+

very interesting! I've never heard of such a thing...anyone know the sugar to other ingredients ratio to use? Might be a handy bit of knowledge just to have somewhere...

7. spyro1

spyro1 Senior Member+

I also think that it helps to prevent proud flesh:) We call the concoction sugardine down here:)

8. madvoice

madvoice Senior Member+

Believe it or not, my grandmother used to use soap and sugar to draw out splinters and by golly it worked. Sugar can do a wonderful job of drawing out infection and the best thing is, most pantries have it :)

9. dallasbarnone

dallasbarnone Senior Member+

yea- thats what ive always heard it called- sugardine-poultice .

10. caballus

caballus Senior Member

Sugardine is also recommended for stubborn thrush but one needs to be very careful that there is no yeast infection along with the thrush (or, many times thrush is misdiagnosed and the infection is really a yeast infection) ... the sugar will actually FEED the yeast and cause tremendous growth and spreading of the infection.

Go to: http://www.barefoothorse.com to read in the "More Topics" section on how to tell the difference and how to treat yeast as well as thrush.

On the original note; Honey is widely used for fighting infections because of the natural sugars. It also promotes rapid tissue growth.

--caballus