Best way to remove bot fly eggs and keep them out

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Laffee Taffee, May 11, 2009.

1. Laffee Taffee

Laffee Taffee Senior Member+

I've never delt with bot fly eggs but Jez has them all over her back legs. I put some SWAT on her legs so that'll keep the flies off, but I'm not sure how to get the eggs out. Should I just wait for them to hatch, clean her legs up really good, and keep SWAT on them to prevent the flies from laying eggs?

Also, they're hard to spot. Where are common places bot flies lay their eggs?

2. gaelinsgirl

gaelinsgirl Senior Member

We have a big bot fly problem this year and I have tried most methods to remove the eggs - by far the best is the pumice grooming blocks you can buy - those eggs just come straight off.
    You need to get them off as soon as you can because the eggs are irritating for the horse and they will lick at them to try and stop the irritation - thus ingesting the eggs and starting a new cycle of infestation. So make sure you have wormed your horse with a good wormer that kills bot fly larvae and then remove the eggs. Also don't let the eggs drop onto pasture where your horse grazes or in your stable bedding etc as they can still injest the eggs from there and the cycle will continue.

3. codyntampa

codyntampa Senior Member+

Ditto- you can use the grooming blocks or a bot knife (both found at tack stores/in magazines. Also make sure that your horse is on a good deworming program.

4. glideride

glideride Senior Member+

Same her, I have had good luck with both the grooming block and bot knife..always keep both handy this time of year..

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Fingernails, bot knife, grooming block.

You don't wait for them to hatch - they hatch in response to a warm, moist environment, aka your horse's mouth/insides ;)

You will never, ever keep a horse with bot eggs on him from ingesting one. That's why you need to use ivermectin or moxidectin a couple of times a year.

6. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

Another vote for the grooming block!

7. bethlehem57

bethlehem57 Senior Member

:D Make that two!

8. holyguacamole

holyguacamole Senior Member

How big are these bot flies? I've always heard about bot flies but have never seen them.

9. BuddyPalAmiga

BuddyPalAmiga Senior Member+

Bot flies look like a fat bumblebee. They fly around your horse's legs, neck, belly, etc with their butts pointed at the target site:) Their abdomens are full of eggs and they deposit them readily on horse hair. We dissected one once when we were able to swat one - it was really cool! Their bellies really are FULL of eggs!

I usually rub down the infested areas with fly spray or warm water and pull the eggs off with my fingernails or grooming stone. I have yet to find a fly spray that will repel bot flies, so for now it's grooming and Ivermectin:)

Beth

10. Boo the Pony

Boo the Pony Full Member

I agree! The grooming blocks are the best! I've found that sandpaper blocks (you can buy at any home improvement store) work just the same and are a bit cheaper :)

As far as keeping bot eggs off the legs, I've found that SWAT does a pretty good job of repelling the flies.