Best treatment for scratches on fetlocks

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WildLittleWren, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

never said I see a lot of scratches. On the rare occasion I do, it is treated. (addy and May both had a small spot 2 summers ago. April used to get it a couple times a year with the all white socks, and I had a gelding many years ago that got it twice).

I just think your idea of proper farm maintenance in regard to mud and wetness is not feasible for many people, whether it is $, large areas, large amounts of rain, not their place, number of horses, limited time, limited stalling options, etc. therefore, WE do the best we can.... but I can assure you, my horses are nowhere near lacking in adequate care just because my place can get muddy

Sam C. and bobo and horses like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

And Vaseline doesn't cause any allergic reaction to any
    horses and is WAY cheaper.

I was just sayin'~!!!

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Vaseline is a great moisture barrier, but it has no anti fungus or anti bacterial properties. Often scratches has a bacterial or fungal component that needs to be addressed for the skin to heal. The chlorhexidne in the equiderma kills both bacteria and fungus and the mineral oil base acts as a barrier.

At my place we don't get scratches, We get an ear tip crud on the horses that like to stand out in the rain or keep their head out of their run in and equiderma clears it right up.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Fungi need what to survive?

Oxygen and water. It's aerobic.

Anything that stops oxygen from getting to fungi will kill it.
    You can, if you so desire spend 30 bucks for a bottle of Equiderma to kill fungi. It's yourrrrr money~!!
    Horses got scratches, bacterial and fungal infections long before the marketing genius at Equiderma thought to make a fortune off selling a cheap concoction @5000% profit to the unsuspecting.

Bacteria and fungi is killed with iodine, have been for centuries. Blocking moisture and oxygen kills fungi as well. It's just science.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Well I order strategically and have never paid more than $20 a bottle..... but when I consider that I only have to apply it every other day, It clears most skin issues in a couple of days and I don't have to scrub off the scabs, it doesn't burn the skin or sting.....I think it's worth every penny.....

That's my opinion.... but go right ahead and keep using Vaseline if that works for you great. It diesnt mean that we can't recommend the benefits of other products.

The other salve I really like is Fungusol it is Vaseline based but has Tea Tree and coconut oil in it, it runs about $16 for a little tub.... it's great when you need a really thick layer but over treatment period you use a a lot more.... so the Equidrrma is more economical.

I have also made my own salve much like @Lopinslow does but by the time I buy the triple antibiotic/ fungal medication and zinc Oxide it is more expensive..... but this recipe is very effective.

ll

6. WildLittleWren

WildLittleWren Registered

Thank you everyone for your advice! I think I am going to give the Equiderma a try. Will let everyone know if it helps clear it up, and if not the vet is going to be here next week and perhaps he has a concoction useful for our immediate area!

7. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

I had really awesome results with thrush buster on rain rot last year, mare got a couple small spots and I doused her with it, rubbed it into the coat. they fell off and were gone in a day or two. I'm interested to see if it has any preventative measure when it gets wet here again. We have had a few months of dry paddocks but it will fill up with muck again soon. and then it freezes all pock marked with hoof prints and difficult to walk without twisting ankles. Have had luck in the past with really well drained cobblestone soil at one boarding facility but most of the barns in this area it is unavoidable, and the last few years have been uncharacteristically wet and muddy. scratches is a fact of life here, not all horses but it was quite bad the last few years in this area, unless you stall them through the wet season which a lot of people ended up having to do.

8. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

Didn’t read the other replies, but “Fungasol” ointment had worked for me very well. Haven’t tried the spray or other forms.

Seashore Acres Scratches Medication also worked very well though is a lot more expensive