Best treatment for scratches on fetlocks

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WildLittleWren, Oct 2, 2017.

1. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Many people dont have their own property where they can just do this. Or have access to just keeping the horse off pasture and in a stall.

MzCarol likes this.
  2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

sorry, I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to excavate, put down fabric and rock/limestone in 2 pastures and 6 paddocks. I have 12 horses, so removing them from said pastures or paddocks when it gets wet. and being i work a full time job, i do not have time to be brining them in nightly and clean those stalls daily... not to mention, most of them are happier outside.

Socks, or various leg coverings don't work. They don't stay up, and the dirt and wet just soaks right in and holds the moisture against their skin.

I keep an eye on any white legged horses, and treat when needed (don't find it often). With April and her 4 whites, she has had a few cases over the years, so she is on the copper and zinc

tlwidener, MzCarol and CabterCrazy like this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Some horses are allergic to chlorhexidine, which is in equiderma. It's a dirivative of hexachlophene which was pulled from the market back in the 60's for causing severe allergic reactions in humans.

4. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

When Trixie would get scratches I shaved her feathers, cleaned her legs well with betadine scrub, wash well, then dry. Once dry I used gall salve, which has alum, borax, oxyquinolin sulphate, and sulphur. It is great for sticking to the skin and keeps moisture from getting in there. I would rub it on twice a day, then wash every few days. Worked well and cleared up quickly.

MzCarol likes this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Yes of course some are allergic and many are allergic to MTG or Iodine..... and people have the same issues with the active ingredients..... but on most horses it works extremely well it smells good and does not dry or burn I have used equiderma for 18 years on many horses without a problem....

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I've used it for 18 years and I order a case of the fly spray, lotion and zinc paste every year. My trainer has started using it now too.

7. CessBee

CessBee Senior Member

Not that it's really helpful for y'all that aren't in the NZ, but if there are any people here from NZ looking for a good goop, for this sort of thing and any other sorta cuts/scrapes/abrasions etcs

Ocean Organics

This, I use it on pretty much anything, once you put it on a cleaned area, no outside nasties are going to get in.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Clearly. That's one of the reasons I have my own place.

But 'it's wet out, I have no choice but to have horses with scratches' is also not inevitable. A little limestone screening, a little swale here and there, a little not turning out when it's wet....etc.

9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Simply wow... So, when we get rain for 4 days in a row, and I have any mud, I'm supposed to lock up all 12 horses until it dries up... Which will be who knows how long.

And if you have so much money laying around that you can have your whole place (i have about 25 acres of pasture) worked on, fabric added and limestone added.. Feel free to share.

Welcome to the real world where everyone can't do things to YOUR level.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh knock it off, LOL. I realize not everyone can buy tons of screenings and call in an excavator for 50k. But it ALSO costs NOTHING to take a shovel and dig a swale here and there. Even on a budget there are many possibilities. I don't have tons of money to toss around at the moment, and I was out there with a shovel digging a trench today. There are possibilities.