Best treatment for scratches on fetlocks

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WildLittleWren, Oct 2, 2017.

1. WildLittleWren

WildLittleWren Registered

I am looking for advice on how to treat scratches on fetlocks. I have a cremello mare who is getting scratches bad, and instead of doing trial and error I would like to get a consensus on the best treatment. Thanks in advance!

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

In the past, i have used the following concoction.

1 tube yeast medicine
    1 tube desitin
    1 tube cortisone
    1 tube A&D ointment

wash really well, then dry. slather on above mixture.

that said, April tends to get scratches often with the 4 white socks. a few people on this forum told me about adding Copper and Zinc to the diet. I started that last winter, and NO scratches at all this year (knocking on wood)

tlwidener, OldGreyMare and DelP like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

The best treatment is having the veterinarian come out, treat the horse, give you directions and medication for followup treatment. S/he can also verify if it's Scratches or something else (mites, other skin conditions).

The local veterinarian knows what the local situation is and whether this is largely bacterial, fungal, or both. The medication used depends on what the infecting agents are.

If the horse is run down and in poor general health, if the legs are often wet or muddy or both, these can also be corrected.

Rarely, Scratches are connected to dry, very dusty environments. Most of the time, Scratches is associated with wet and dirt.

There are tons of different organisms in any soil. The key to prevention of Scratches is very often keeping legs and feet clean and dry. This applies to the stall, run in sheds, shelters, pastures and paddocks.

4. WildLittleWren

WildLittleWren Registered

Yes the vet is coming out in a week for her annual vaccines, dental, and to have him look at her. Currently she is in a 20 acre all grass pasture all night but the grass is about halfway to her knees and stays wet, very wet. I am in Florida and we just had a hurricane blow through, so we are more wet than normal. She is in a nice, clean, dry stall all day (or she sunburns). Thank you for the advice!

5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

most of us don't live in a perfect world where we can eliminate all wet and mud. we have had about 2 inches of rain in the last week, and have another 2-3" expected tonight through tomorrow. the fact is, there is mud, and not much I can do about it.

tlwidener and CabterCrazy like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Best thing to do in the wet environment is to slather some vaseline in her pasterns before you turn her out. That will keep the wet off her skin and is a cheap and effective way to heal it up.

Larkspade and LoveTrail like this.
  7. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I agree with the Vaseline idea but first make sure that the area is very dry because you don't want the Vaseline to actually trap moisture in and make it worse.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Equiderma lotion and salve is made in Florida specifically for this issue give Bethany a call.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

What I do is 1.) I excavated and added rock and limestone so it doesn't get muddy in paddocks when it rains. 2.) I keep horses off pasture when it's wet(our county strongly recommends we have such areas). 3.) I wash mud off and dry legs if the horses got wet/muddy, and they go in dry stalls at night. This gives their skin a 'break' from the conditions and usually prevents problems. 4.) I add rock and limestone to gate areas and keep low spots from developing where mud can start 5.) if the area is muddy, vaseline on the back of the pasterns and fetlock might help. It depends on what organism is the culprit and how long the vaseline stays on.

Finally, some people use 'stockings' - various horsey or human products that are stretched on over the leg and at least keep the dirt somewhat out. The trade off being that the stockings themselves might become muddy and wet.

Some areas use concrete 'aprons' along fence lines and on gate areas to prevent low spots that easily turn into 'mud pits'.

10. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I just received my order and can't wait to give it a try!!!(well, I can, but...you know what I mean) I got the buy 2 get 1 free deal. Ayah tends to get crud on her legs in the spring/fall and going through hoops to clear it up is more time than I want to spend if I don't have to. I know she'll get it when the rain starts so I'm armed and ready!!