Best thing I've read about Trump.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Feb 7, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

Why would he do that when NK has made overtures for peace?

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

There's no logic to it or common sense. China/Russia will not back us. I think he did it for his base and optics.. the "blast em to kingdom come, kick arse and take names" side. He can froth at the mouth and display an attitude of being reluctantly held back by his generals.. as well as freak out 70% of Americans. Irritating.

ginster likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Feinstein just released the papers the GOP were hoping to keep leaking falsehoods about. All in all a decent day. Trump had a "normal" meeting live streamed to show he's not completely crazy as a two fold typical publicity stunt. Supposedly wiping away all the crazy prior behavior.. uhm..no.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

A few points of...logic and reason...lol.

• NO ONE can diagnose Trump of ANYTHING based on his public behavior. We're wondering, that's all. And that's fair game.
    • Even with the most severe cases of dementia, even at the most advanced stages, people have 'good days and bad.' I did nursing home visits and many people there were 'very far along' in the advancement of the disease...actually it was at first, at least, unnerving, if not downright frightening, how different people were, mentally, on different days. You literally 'do not know which Mr. Mitelli you are talking with right now.' And it changes, even, from minute to minute. So Trump looking 'engaged' at one long meeting, doesn't convince me he has no impairment....but read on...LOL.
    • I've seen people with fairly advanced dementia, and - you would never know. Many in the Amish community do not go to nursing homes until their condition becomes full of physical complications. They function incredibly well in a routine.
    • I've EVEN seen people in early stages who - you would never know they were impaired. At all. My husband may have some symptoms starting. Everyone laughs at me and says, 'he's just being a man' and he passed mini-mental-status-exam of 30 questions with 'flying colors' (according to him....LOL). But he's starting to forget things and mix things up and his judgement is failing. He's incredibly intelligent and has tons of 'intellectual reserve' - so it will be 10 or more years before he has any likelihood of getting diagnosed. What this means is that a mini-mental-status exam, even very careful evaluation, can FAIL to indicate a person is becoming impaired. So I have little faith that an examination of Trump would turn up - anything.
    • At 71, a LOT of people are in that 'grey area' niche - non obvious, symptoms starting. Only their wife knows, and no one knows how bad it will get, or how fast that will happen. NOT ALL of them will ever progress, they will simply be slightly forgetful the rest of their lives, for one thing, but others will progress into obvious symptoms at some point.
    • It's normal for a person of 71 to forget things. Slight loss of fluency of speech is normal, groping for a name for something, like 'let's go over to the...oh you know that restaurant on 10th street, the one with the...'. It's normal to mislay one's keys, and to not quite 'get' what the young folks are all worked up about. It's normal to say, 'Oh, you know that song that goes...oh what the hail was that singer's name....' and remember it a half hour later. It's normal to forget a route to a place one doesn't go to every day, or to not immediately put a name to a face you don't see for months.
    • It's NOT normal to forget one HAS a car, to yell at people to shut up because one can't COMPREHEND what words they're saying, to FORGET that one was in the middle of walking to the store one block away, that one goes to daily, or not recognize the face of someone you see FREQUENTLY.....
    • When a person starts slurring his words when he's tired, making up words (and not correcting them in tweets), when the person starts getting 'sloppy' like that, some mild cognitive decline could be there.... or chronic fatigue combined with being preoccupied with getting busted for money laundering....I have no fear of prosecution for money laundering, but I am absolutely sure I am sometimes very tired, and that alone can do...miraculous things....
    • When a person is declining mentally, often the first things to go are the most subtle - fluency of speech, manners, yes, actually, that is true. Sometimes the first signs of mental decline are being abrasive, uncooperative, argumentative and overly simplistic in reasoning.
    • Obesity (and Trump is obese) and poor diet and poor exercise plans are big risk factors for mental decline. Of any type, but the lesser known vascular dementia, with its sudden 'steps down the stair case'(a series of 'stair step' type rapid drops to a lower level of mental functioning) is a possibility. Golfing is not adequate to address that.
    • EVEN A SLIGHT COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT IS A PROBLEM FOR A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES...capitals my own, lol. A president has to keep a lot of information in his head, design intelligent compromises that help people, not be swayed by short term gain, and in general do an awful lot of very high level reasoning that requires a working memory in excellent order. His decision making requires keeping multiple 'balls in the air' as he thinks - in other words, he's got to be thinking, 'no, can't do that because then this will happen, so....still working on it....' AND....Working memory is generally the first thing affected by cognitive decline.
    • Trump's behavior at that meeting consisted entirely of repeating what the most recent speaker had said, and agreeing with it, even if it conflicted with what someone else had said earlier, or what he had said on other, recent, occasions. Also not reassuring.
    • In many situations, I think Trump's not paying attention not out of mental impairment, but simply because he is not interested in paying attention. He appears to, 99% of the time, be thinking about something else other than what is going on around him at the moment.
    • In general, he seems to have a rather peevish attitude toward PTWOT - 'periods of time when others are talking.' He appears to be very impatient and uninterested in listening or reading, when he does, he doesn't seem to pay more than a very perfunctory level of attention to what he's doing. Rather than demented(which I use in the technical sense of 'having dementia), much of the time he simply appears to be uninterested, unmotivated, and even dismissive or internally ridiculing what he's hearing.
    • I have no real confidence that he reads fluently and absorbs information in a rational way, or if he ever did.
    • I don't really get the impression he behaves as he often does because he needs to be the center of attention. I've heard this often and I believe it to utterly wrong and a dangerous idea because it underestimates him dangerously. I think that there are several sources to this 'outrageous behavior.' One is, yes, he needs to play to a base that supports him and likes what he says. ANOTHER reason is that he needs to dominate and humiliate the person in front of him. It's not about getting attention from anyone...it's about domination and disrespect for others. The third source is pure Bannon philosophy that Trump has adopted whether Bannon is on the 'outs' or not - divide and conquer. So confuse and shock people that you cause argument between them about why you said what you just said, and they don't notice what you do next. The key here is to overwhelm people and to cause them to have 'thinking fatigue', in other words, 'burn them out' so they don't pay attention.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

True. We can not give him a diagnosis. But one can determine from his behaviour that either he has some kind of mental/cognitive problem or he fakes having these symptoms.

To give these observable symptoms a diagnostic label he would need to go through a diagnostic process with a psychiatrist/neurologist.

It's like, I see someone cough and sneeze. I can say with 100% certainty that this person must have some kind of disease. But of course nobody can not tell from these observations if the person has an allergy, pneumonia, flu, the common cold, tuberculosis etc.

Have you seen the video where he is throwing rolls of paper towels into the crowd in Puerto Rico when he went there for disaster aid? I mean, either somebody is VERY eccentric or just plain impaired to do that. That's just not normal behaviour. Or when his wife had to nudge him to remind him to put his hand over his heart during the national anthem. Or when he is at a signing ceremony and walks out before actually having signed the papers. I mean, one event of this type, okay, but it's recurring.
    Or have you seen the speech where he talks about the nuclear weapons? I mean, really??

ginster, Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh yes, saw it all. The paper towel throw was one of the most disturbing and callous things he's done, but how he talked to them about their number of fatalities was incredibly more callous and disgusting.

I can't put it all at the doorstep of cognitive decline, or eccentricity.

Much of it I think is a man drunk with power, who has convinced himself that he beat someone, and many others that he beat someone fair and square, playing to a base of supporters who are racist and very dangerous amoral people.

If we simply say it's all cognitive decline or bid for attention/admiration or anything like that, again, I think we grotesquely underestimate what can happen to our country under his reign.

And keep in mind that Bannon's philosophy INCLUDES changing rulers frequently. There is a fairly inexhaustible supply of 'people like him' that can take his place. This isn't just about Trump or Bannon.

Please, folks, don't make this about 'Trump is a jerk/demented/whatever'. This is a much, much bigger problem.

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Though there is an interview of him from 25 years ago on youtube and while he hadn't been the most eloquent person on the planet back then, he didn't stumble through his sentences like e third grader back then but spoke like an adult of normal intelligence.

I believe there is a decline.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I do too, but I think some of the difference is due to 'talking down to his constituency', as he believes they are very, very stupid.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Gee. It seems to have slipped past most of us that Trump is now cutting the EPA staff by about 50%.

His tactics do seem to work. He gets people are revved up, and then gives them a 'rest period' where he's doing some new shocking thing - but no one finds out.

Funny how that works.

10. Alsosusieq2

Yes, I ran across this last night also, some old vids. His decline is staggering. Oddly, he fluctuates as if on/off meds perhaps or possibly just Alzheimer's. That I don't know.

SLC, my statement was just a flip one on his crazy behavior/talk, not an actual accusation. That post is so long and difficult to read, it appears to be centered and took up literally a page if not two. Anyway, is he crazy? Not in the classic psychopath definition, but he's loony. I'd never want to be in the same room or have to deal with him personally. He's definitely not a "stable genius".

ginster and mooselady like this.