Best Poultice For Barrel Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by SoutherngirlBR, Mar 3, 2018.

1. SoutherngirlBR

SoutherngirlBR Full Member

Not sure where this would go, thought health would be the best place. Move if not.

I'm going to our state's NBHA finals this coming weekend and I'm wanting to really show up and show out. My horse has potential to be 1D but he gets sore the day after races, we have him on supplements for it but I've heard a lot of good things about poultice and I'm wanting to try it on him as an overnight application and then BoT before we run. I've been looking at Sore No More as I would not have to wrap it and that's been the most common name to come up in my research on this. Opinions on Sore No More and what specific kind (classic, performance, etc) or other brands you like. I'm not looking for stuff over $40 if possible as its just a trial run with it ;)

2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I LOVE Sore No More clay poultice with arnica. It is cooling and really decreases inflammation well. I have both wrapped and left it unwrapped, and think it works about just as well unwrapped. The only thing is, it's a bit of a pain to clean off the legs once dry - I use a very flexible jelly curry (moving in the direction of the tendons) before rinsing/scrubbing the legs. I'd still highly recommend it :)

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

My favorite poltice is UpTite.

Keep it wet by wrapping a piece of saran wrap over it before you put your quilts and standing wraps on over it. Once it dries, it is no longer working.

Take it off the next morning, remove most of it with your hands, then just wash the rest off and towel dry the leg.

4. SoutherngirlBR

SoutherngirlBR Full Member

Do you think I should wrap it then? Everyone I’ve seen that uses it doesn’t :cautious:

5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Have you talked to the vet to see why he's getting sore? Is it arthritis related or is there something going on? If the supplement you put him on doesn't seem to make a difference, I'd try something else. Each horse reacts differently to various supplements and you may find something that's a better fit. Depending on the what the vet says is the root of the problem, adequan, pentosan or something like that might be an option as well.

How are you handling him after your runs? Do you ice? At multi day shows are you making sure he gets out for hand walks often to help alleviate stiffness from working hard and being stalled? There are lots of things other than poltice you can add to your show routine to help with stiffness.

Yes you should wrap over the poltice. It will keep it moist longer and get the full benefits out of it. If you don't wrap over it properly it will dry out quicker and doesn't allow it to serve its full purpose.

That being said I like any of the sore no more poltices. All are good and work nicely. I'm also a big fan of cool cast. It takes down swelling better than any others I've tried and has been very helpful in rehabbing my horse with a tendon/ligament issue.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Definitely wrap it. People who don't wrap it just do not understand how it should be used.

Wrap both legs, always do legs up in pairs.

If is not a facial mask to remove blackheads, where you put it on, let it dry and in half an hour or less, voila' your pores are clean~!! :LOL:It keeps working as long as it is still wet.

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I think it's important to get to the root of the soreness. A properly conditioned and ridden horse should not be getting sore after every race. I have 2 1 d trainers/riders on my road. And I ride at one of the trainer's arena. Is your horse stalled or on turnout ? How are his feet, diet, etc. What supplements are being given? How old is your horse ? Saddle fit ? What is the footing like where you barrel race ? So much to look at to get to the root of the problem.