Best (or worst) Equine Vacations

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by oldhorsehome, Jul 11, 2018.

1. oldhorsehome

oldhorsehome Senior Member

Hi all!! I haven't been on in a long time but thought this would be the best place to get the info I need.

Have you been on a horse-related vacation/trip? Where did you go? Would you recommend the tour operators/providers? Is there something on your bucket list that you would like to do?

In August I will get to see the Lipizzaner Stallions perform in Vienna at the Spanish Riding School! I'm also going to Gratz the see the Piber stud farm. I'm so excited I can't stand it!!

The reason for my post is this: I have recently completed training and am now a Travel Advisor. I would like to specialize in equine vacations (in addition to planning all other leisure travel). I figured I should get my info straight from the "horse's mouth", so to speak. :idea:

Thanks for your suggestions!! :kiss:

SiouxRider21 and Larkspade like this.
  2. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

Years ago my family went to a ranch in Georgia. You ride am and pm. The rest of the day you live in the mansion on property with a buffet/pool/game room etc.

I have no idea if it’s still nice or run the same way. 10 years ago it was nice though!

Southern Cross Guest Ranch

3. oldhorsehome

oldhorsehome Senior Member

Thanks EnglishRider234. That place looks fabulous!

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

The horse vacations we go on, we TAKE our own horses. Usually camping/trail riding at different locations. Our last trip was to the cowboy town, Love Valley, NC. We had a blast, but not much to do there if you don't take a horse.

Larkspade and oldhorsehome like this.
  5. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn’t call it an equine vacation, but we rode at Potawatomi Inn in Indiana when we stayed there one summer and the trail ride was lovely and horses well behaved and cared for.
    Potawatomi Inn | State Parks & Reservoirs

On Mackinac Island, there were no vehicles and lots of horse rental places. I was so excited! Made the mistake of my mom and I telling them we had a horse and were regular riders... they gave us the biggest PITA horses ever and sent us on our way. Even my brother and dad, who we marked as greenest of green, got nasty disagreeable mounts but less dangerously so than ours. Would not recommend. Just enjoy the carriage horses if you go.

oldhorsehome likes this.
  6. lukesmom

lukesmom Full Member

I haven't been yet but have been researching the mule rides into the Grand Canyon. I just have to decide if I would be ok with the dicier parts. It looks like an amazing experience though, and all the posts I've read from people who have gone recommended it. Some even said they had already booked another trip to do it again:)

oldhorsehome likes this.
  7. DelP

DelP Senior Member

I am always looking for BYOH (Bring your own horse) type establishments. They are often hard to find! I've got a trip to Bed and Breakfast Stanwood MI | Healey's Outback Ranch planned for this fall. Had a fantastic time with the horses there last year and couldn't wait to go back!

oldhorsehome likes this.
  8. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

I've hiked the trail on foot and I never saw a section that would concern me on a mule. It's really quite a nice trail!

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Congrats! At this risk of hijacking your thread, may I ask what you had to do for training and credentials? I have a friend who has flirted with the idea (she loves to plan our vacations - we jokingly call her Julie, after the cruise director on The Love Boat :p ) but she has no idea what she has to do to become one.

10. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I go by this place when i take Chloe to her checkups in Athens.

@oldhorsehome , Texas would be where i would LOVE to vacation. Luckily i have this FB friend who said i could stay at her new place one- day. :p

But seriously, I'd love to go to more west Texas and do a cattle drive. If you know of any of those, let me know.

oldhorsehome likes this.