Best liniment?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by walktrotcanter, Feb 28, 2008.

1. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member+

Okay! I might be biased, but I have been raised using Absorbine Liniment...and have NEVER used ANYTHING else. I don't know if that is a good thing, or a bad thing, but I have never thought too highly about any other sort of liniment. What other liniment brands do ya'll use, and what do you think of them? I have used Absorbine on myself when I have been achey and it worked wonders on me...which is why I am so partial on using it for my horses too. I also won't use the gel, it has to be the liquid in the yellow/gold bottle! ;) lol.

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Senior Member+

I'll be interested to the replies of this thread too....I'm an Absorbine user myself. ;)

3. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

I get the magazine "Horse Journal" which is pretty much consumer reports for horse people. They ran an article not to long ago about liniments. I can't recall exactly what the verdict was (and I have NO idea where that issue is in my house), but I do remember that Sore No More came out as one of the best.

So far I've only used Absorbine, but I think I may try the Sore No More.

4. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member+

My favorite has always been Vetrolin's liniment. I don't use it a lot but lately I've been giving my guy a liniment bath about once a week b/c he has been a bit stiff. I've used other ones but for some reason I just keep coming back to vetrolin, maybe it's the smell;). I really hve nothing but good things to say about everything I've tried from vetrolin, it's all great stuff. With the liniment though I prefer the liquid for my horse but I have the gel for me. It works great when my shoulder's acting up.

5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member+

I've use sore-no-more and I didn't see a big difference over other liniments. Plus I didn't like the way it smelled but maybe that's just me.

6. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

I've never smelled Sore No More, I like the smell of Absorbine.
    I have the Vetrolin shampoo and I love that, smells really good. Hmm... maybe i'll give the vetrolin liniment a try too :)

7. GiddyUpScoot

GiddyUpScoot Senior Member+

I like Absorbine, Vetrolin & Thermaflex (I think that's it) in the gel forms to use on legs... the gel is just SO much easier to use.

Sore No More hands down is my favorite as a body brace... a bit expensive, but I've used herbal liniments on myself and they may not heat as much as the menthol ones, but they really do work! Plus your hands don't smell (and taste!) like menthol for hours :p I don't think it's really any better than the others, but it does work. I would get the Sore No More Gelotion, but I just haven't really needed it, so I just use up what I have and what is readily available. I also LOVE the Sore No More Shampoo! It's a nice herbal, veg. soap shampoo that has the same herbal extracts as the liniment. It's definately an acquired smell though :p I also like Absorbine and Vetrolin... mostly because they're a bit easier on the pocketbook too! Plus I like the liniment smell :)

8. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member+

I'm pretty sure the worst thing ever is getting Absorbine liquid on or around your nose. LOL. Don't ask me how it winds up there...I either forget it's on my hands and wipe my nose or something...it tingles and gives you a reaaaally good wiff of it for hours. Clears your sinuses though! :p

9. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

Trainer's Choice 5000 -- I won't use anything else :)

10. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

I have always used Bigeloil gel liniment but next time I am buying Sore No More. Sore No More has Arnica. I have been taking and using Arnica myself for sore muscles after riding and it really works wonders for me. Only the best for the big K. :)