Best Leather Oil

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Everyone has their preferences.......I care not if anyone disagrees with me. I will never use an “all in one” product, but there are definitely enough people who do use them, as they are still on the shelves and being sold.......

I will continue to share my feelings about them be that online or in person. There are few products that I loath, fewer that I actually feel strongly enough to tell people to throw them away, but combi products are definitely 1 of them & actually are at the top of my list.

manesntails and mooselady like this.
  2. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

Combi + does not have alcohol in it. It’s a foaming spray and I’m looking at a bottle of it right now. The product was actively recommended to me by two different master saddlers in England.

The acceptance of people who disagree with you goes both ways RnB. Your opinion doesn’t get to be gospel just because you don’t agree with another experienced person, even though I know you’d really like for it to be that way.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

HA! I never expect my opinion to be gospel, that’s why it’s called an opinion.

I’ve been polite and even explaining why I dislike them, seems that’s not enough for you. Ah well. No skin off my back. Happy tack cleaning :)

4. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Does it have ingredients? I'm curious because it has a very strong alcohol smell to me. I know their leather conditioner is oil and beeswax, but the cleaners smell. There's no ingredients listed online for the cleaners.

I tried it once or twice when a client recommended it to me. I know it strips dirt away really well, so it's likely to have some kind of chemical in it. I've also found the cleaner to be very drying without a conditioner afterwards.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, looky there. People giving you the same crap I get for telling it like it is~!!
    Kind of comforting knowing you have someone else rowing with you in the same boat~!! :LOL:

People don't usually get their tack visibly dirty after they ride. The sweat that got absorbed into the pores of the leather when the heat from the horse's body opened those pores and the dirt and sweat off him was absorbed into the leather is not obvious. It's only when the leather starts to discolor or crack that they actiually notice a change in the leather. Therefore, they BELIEVE they are cleaning and conditioning with a one step cleaner.

Come to the STB race track and look at a harness after a race. All the stitching is full of hair and sweat. Behind the keepers, in the tongues of the buckles, everywhere the harness touched the animal is grimy , sweaty, and hairy.

You have to clean it with saddle soap to loosen that up, wipe it a couple times with a warm clean rag to remove that dirt, towel it dry and let it hang over night to continue drying, THEN, next morning, you replace the oils that were lost from the cleaning with your conditioner.

When you care for your leather this way, it lasts longer.

6. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I love Combi+ as well. Does a great job cleaning, leaves leather supple and shining, and no sticky film. Also has been recommended to me by saddlers in England.

7. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I've been told by other master saddlers that Leder Combi and Effax products do contain alcohol and are great for stripping old conditioners and oils from leather.
    One saddler specifically uses it for this purpose and then conditions with products that put nutrients and tannins back in the leather.

*shrug* to each their own.

funkybizniz likes this.
  8. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

What I like to use depends on the type of leather and the situation. For cleaning I’ve got several different type of soaps depending on how dirty the tack is. For conditioning finer English leather I generally stick to passier or effax ledar balms. For thicker leathers I like stubben or oakwoods cream conditioners. When I need to oil something I use pure neatsfoot oil.

I like leather combi for certain situations but out of curiousity I just checked the back of my bottle and there is a type of alcohol listed in the ingredients.

Rhythm 'n Blues and funkybizniz like this.
  9. bsaz

bsaz Senior Member

This thread reminds me why I like Abetta.

One maker of expensive custom leather shoes said to use any good hand lotion - that leather was just skin. I've been doing that on my Red Wing boots. So far...looks OK. About two years into the experiment. Need another dozen years for a good test.

10. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

I didn't mean to create an issue. I'm new to the tack cleaners, I clean saddleseat tack and have just been using the 1 step and mink oil, but I'm open to all information and welcome it. I recently bought some fiebing's silicone-lanolin saddle oil after reading the responses about 1 step.