Best Leather Oil

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 14, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's either you are using too much or the kind you are using has too much beeswax in.

I use the Amish Schmutz; it does not leave a film at all.

2. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Different cleaners & conditioners are meant for different leathers too Manes. There are some cleaners and conditioned that will leave film on certain leathers. No matter what you do, you'll see "streak marks". I've tried a few in my life time, on different leathers, and I have used anything from a little to a lot, and again I haven't found that I like any of them. And that's ok. I don't need to like or agree with your opinion of a product. I'm perfectly happy using the stuff that I do like. Actually there's a conditioner that I actually like MORE than the Passier stuff, but it went MIA for a bit. I've got a lead on it now, so just have to officially order the stuff & then I'll be even happier than I am with the Passier stuff :D

Sam C. and OldGreyMare like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Sure, that's fine, but beeswax used in moderation doesn't HAVE to leave a film. That's all. And I have english tack. I have cleaned it. I rode english with my horse and Western with STBs. I am aware there are different types of leather and different products are meant for different types of leather. :rolleyes:

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

What makes me laugh..

As an English rider I have always stripped and cleaned and polished tack the night before a show.

When I started WD I was the same...now i’m Very likely to throw my saddle on and ‘clean’ it just before we walk out...

waresbear and manesntails like this.
  6. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Wait! I'm supposed to clean my tack?

I"m old. I still use saddle soap and neatsfoot oil.

7. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

I use Absorbine Horseman's one step cream leather cleaner and conditioner, and then mink oil using sponges. The one step cleans leather very nicely, and leaves it soft and supple. The mink oil helps keep it soft and flexible.

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@Sarah J, you’re entitled to your opinion and I don’t expect you to agree with me. If you love it & works for you, then by all means keep using it. I’ll just share my opinions on this product.....

I’m going to disagree with the use of horseman’s one step. That is one product (ok any “all in one” gets lumped together in with this stuff) that I completely loath! It is not physically possible to clean and condition at the same time & without ever having to wipe the product off. Think of the closest human product.....hand santitizer......we would never think to use this constantly & never actually wash our hands with soap. Why? Because after you use it a few times your hands start to feel sticky. Even an all in one shampoo + conditioner for your at least gets rinsed out, despite it not being very good for your hair. Horseman’s 1 step leaves a terrible film on leather. If you have any kind of textured leather you really see it with any routine use - you end up with white “gunk” in the texture. As a saddle fitter it is definitely 1 product I actually suggest client throw away.

manesntails and funkybizniz like this.
  9. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

disagree with the blanket statement on combo products. Effax Leder Combi + is great stuff. Actually cleans off dirt/sweat, lightly moisturizing, and has a mold/mildew inhibitor.

Baboo likes this.
  10. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

I mentioned this in another thread but I also don’t like one step. It has petroleum and alcohol in it- neither should be going near your leather. I think the Effax cleaners have alcohol in them too- it smells like it. It will strip off dirt but not good for the leather.