Best Grooming Brushes

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Horse Mimi, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

Can someone explain to me what the bay brushes are? I’m not really understanding how brushes work for different colors.

I have the Leistner version of the Schimmel I think (The coco fiber brush?) that came in my set and I really like it for getting dirt and manure stains off my sorrels. So I can kind of see how it would benefit a gray getting stains off. It seems to work well because it’s a fairly stiff brush with dense short bristles. Which is why I attributed it working so well.

But why would my sorrel need a different brush than my (hypothetical, don’t currently have one lol) bay? Honestly curious!

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

And I stand by that statement, if there are no highs, then it must be boring, but I admitted I should not have said it in the context of that thread, and bowed out..There is a difference, IF I HAD GONE OH MY GAWD DO YOU NEVER HAVE REALLY GOOD MOMENTS, then I would have been doing what you constantly do.

There are good meals, bad meals and exceptional meals.

There is good sex, mediocre sex and fantastic sex.

There are good days with horses, bad days and moments that you will always remember..if you don’t experience the whole range then yes you miss out.

I remember you saying that anyone who likes Haas brushes are gullible, have more money than sense and are falling for advertising. I don’t intend to go back and direct quote, because I frankly can’t be bothered.

Loona, harli36 and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@RusticR, I am not quite sure how it works between bays & chestnuts. I don’t technically own any of those colors, so I only researched the ones for greys/light colored horses.

I can only assume it has something to do with the bristles picked out for each. I’m guessing each coat color reflects light differently? No clue on the truth, just speculating. I can’t imagine it’s much different than the shampoos out there made for specific coat colors.......but maybe it is?

Might be worth giving 1 brush a try & seeing how you like it. That’s what I did. The schimmel was the one that removed stains.....it also happen to be the cheapest one ($14cdn was the conversion as my mom got it for me when she was in Germany). So for me, even if it had been double that I probably would of taken the gamble to see..........you know owning a discussing grey makes one want to reduce their grooming time hahahaha

mooselady likes this.
  4. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

I really don’t need anyone enabling me to get more brushes :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been taming myself quite well lately. Lol. Ive seriously got 7-8 of my trusty synthetics I’ve pared down to over the years and then my set of Leistner brushes of which I have 7-8 plus a couple of misc natural fiber brushes. Now my new thing seems to be shedding devices...

Rhythm 'n Blues and mooselady like this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Certainly concentrates the mind.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Curious, what's the scientific logic on this being used for certain colours? I'd really like to see what they're basing it on. I have to say that it really doesn't make logical sense. I do think I've heard about the colour grey though, but I really don't know if it's true about their coat hairs.

Not being snarky either, I am just really usually pretty logical and don't just buy advertising hype, that's all. If the bristles themselves are different lengths, that makes more sense as far as efficiency than any coat colour adaptability to me.

They have any data that backs this up not done by their own company?

7. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Here is a video of them being used.

A review.

That looks like the under armor symbol.

I’ll be happy to do a review if I buy them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@CarlisleChipper I watched both those videos before buying my single Schimmel brush. The 1st video is what sold me on the Schimmel - had to try it after seeing that!!

I actually asked my mom to get the entire set for me when she was in Germany, but the store she went to only had the one. I watched the above review video (your 2nd video linked) and read quite a bit online, and everyone who has bought the set has said the same thing - that they are worth the money hands down, they love them & wouldn't ever go back to any other brush. Given the sheer volume of people saying that, I would still like the full set. Perhaps come spring/summer before show season arrives I may try to get my hands the rest of them. I really do like the Schimmel & it is totally a nice brush to hold ( you know, when you're not wearing super thick winter gloves it fits in your hand perfectly - curse you winter!!!).

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. 1claire

1claire Registered

I am using the weaver leather grooming kit, it has all the grooming brush that I need for my horse and it comes with an organizer.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  10. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I am really surprised that your Oster brushes aren't holding up. I got a set from my Grandparents when I got my first horse, and 15 years later I still have most of them and still used them up until last year when I got a set of Haas brushes for my birthday. I still really like the Oster stiff brush for getting the really nasty dirt off her legs and belly before I attack her with the softer Haas brushes. Maybe they don't make them like they use to.

Larkspade likes this.