Best Grooming Brushes

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Horse Mimi, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Horse Mimi

Horse Mimi Registered

I am a new horse owner and bought an Oster Equine Grooming set. I have only had my brushes for 8 months and they are falling apart. What brands do you recommend and what type of bristles to achieve the best grooming results?
    Thank you.

2. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

There are two main types of brushes, plastic/synthetic fiber and natural fiber. If your going to do synthetic brushes then your probably fine with any old brush that you like the feel of. I still have a few of the synthetic brushes that I bought 20-25 years ago, they still work fine and haven't lost a ton of bristles. I wouldn't look for a brand per say just one that you like the stiffness of. I like having a flexible curry comb, a very stiff mud brush, a medium brush, a soft brush and a rub rag in my grooming kit. I also use a dollar store human hair paddle brush for mane and tail. I haven't found a mane and tail horse brush that I've liked yet.

That said natural fiber brushes are soooooooooooooo much better. They are so much more efficient. They get the horse cleaner, quicker with less to no static and hold up nicely. I still use my synthetic mud brush but the medium and soft natural fiber brushes are my go to. The soft brush is too soft to do any good on anything but the face when they have their winter coat but it is very nice working with it in the summer. I would strongly urge you to try a natural fiber brush. I have Leistner brushes. They are pricey but at least get a good natural fiber medium brush. You won't regret it.

3. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

I have an ancient set of Oster brushes. They aren’t great, but they shouldnt have fallen apart. Call oster.

Haas is my favorite type of brush, they need to be carefully cared for however. Since they are natural bristles.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Natural fiber all the way!

I have 1 HAAS brush (the Schimmel) and wouldnt hesitate to get more. All I use is natural fiber unless it’s for mud :)

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Just got my first Haas brush and, well so far so good!

7. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I need some haas brushes I’ve heard they’re especially great for greys. I just wish they sold the entire set as a set. I’m having trouble finding them to buy.

8. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I do 98% of my grooming with 3 brushes. The key to reducing or eliminating stains is regular grooming in my experience.

An Oster curry because it's very ergonomic in my hand. Most dirt and stains come out with this.
    078399-120-000-1.jpg
    Then I have these two brushes that are probably 15 years old. They get a deep cleaning 1-2x per year and still look almost new. I like wood backs and natural fiber.

The dandy brush for after currying to get any dust/dirt/stains/hair off.
    Screenshot_20190201-060825.png
    Then a soft brush to get the last bits of dust and spread any oils around for shine. If you want to get fancy you can go over once more with an even softer brush.
    Screenshot_20190201-061049.png
    I have to ask, what makes the Haas bushes better? Aren't they just natural fibers? The prices seem steep for what they are but I haven't actually seen them in person.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@CarlisleChipper they only sell the brushes made for certain colors by the set. I believe the schimmel is the only one from the set that they sell as a stand alone. I believe you also have to order the set from over seas.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Oh my~!! Brushes for different colored horses?
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

o_O Really?
    Who believes this crape?

My white mule came just as clean, just as fast, with the same brushes I used on all the rest of them.

Folks be too gullible ~!!