Best Fly Spray?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Alyssa Hughes, Jul 4, 2018.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I sell ag chemical and can get things at cost... So I get great deals on everything but predators.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I like Endure. It's oil based and has sunscreen in it.

3. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

In my experience the best fly spray varies greatly from area to area. You’re best bet is to ask around locally and see what others have luck with.

In my area the best I’ve found is mixing endure and mosiquito halt. But when I was a few hours south pyranha was my go to.

paval likes this.
  4. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

here in New England the best one I've found is the Ultracruz fly and tick spray. I buy a gallon a year and it does me for 2 horses for the prime fly season, with fly sheets and masks.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I have used Wipe for a couple of years and it has been great...but did her the other evening before turn out, walked to the gate and she was covered in mosquitoes :eek:

6. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

This is how it's been here too. Sailor swells at mosquito bites too (n) I feel so bad for him because I hate getting ate alive and they deal with it ALL day.

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I did get her a fly sheet, it lasted less than a week before it needed extensive repairs. Fixed up good, 3 days later, wrecked again....

The Wonder Horse, I wonder how long this blanket/sheet will last

8. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Ecovet is the most effective but I can't stand the smell of it. It's like old man cologne that has been out in the sun too long. God it's awful.
    I make my own with essential oils . Smartpak just came out with basically what I use. It has peppermint oil and geranium oil (repels ticks). You can also use citronella oil and lemongrass. It needs reapplied a lot more to be effective but I feel better dousing my horse in it than I do other fly sprays. I also rub their face down with a lavender scented dryer sheet before I ride.

9. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I usually make my own with EO, but it's not working this year. All the years before it has been fantastic, but not this year. I hate spraying my horse with chemicals much less both of us breathing them in.

10. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Mix up the essential oils you're using and see if it makes a difference?

Alyssa Hughes likes this.