Best Fly Spray?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Alyssa Hughes, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

The flies are awful here in the midwest. I usually use a homemade EO flyspray, but this year it doesn't work at all. So I bought some Endure fly spray and that didn't work either. What is your favorite fly spray? Next year I am getting some fly predators. My horse HATES flies. Also does AC vinegar in the feed help repel them?

2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I put ACV in my horses feed. I like to think it helps. I also have him wear a hooded fly sheet.

I have also heard that you can put a clove of garlic in their feed, too.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  3. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I use Gordon's Horse and Pony spray. I have never found a 100% working flyspray, but it's been the best so far.

paval and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  4. paval

paval Senior Member

That's what I use! Best stuff! I buy the big container at Tractor Supply. Have to watch I don't grab the other version Gordon's make, the water base version labeling looks almost the same.

doublelranch and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Pyrethrins work better than permethrins. Pyrhana had pyrethrin as the AI. It is the best IMO.

I buy pyrethrin concentrate and make my own.

This year I have fly predators, zyrox fly bait, sticky traps, bait traps, bite free traps, and fly predators. I treated the premises with Tempo SC.

I compost manure.

froglander likes this.
  6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I use fly predators, a mosquito magnet, fly tape, fly traps, fly sheets, Buggzo in feed and 3 sprays depending on what is hatching Mosquito off, ultra sheikd and Equiderma.

froglander likes this.
  7. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

You two must spend a fortune on fly control!

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

There was a thread earlier that said a combination of two sprays was phenomenal. I'd have to look it up.
    Eco Vet and Animed Bug Lyte

Sorry, my autocorrect is fighting today. :(

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I spend about $1500 a year in insect control and I have very few flies, and other biting disease causing vectors. My horses coats look great no rubbed out manes or tails and I can enjoy my backyard in peace.

10. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

I’m using Solitude and fly predators this year and it’s really made a difference compared to previous years.

As for fly spray... I think you have to change it up, it almost seems like the flies get used to one particular kind and it no longer is effective.

Something I stumbled upon by accident... flies seem to hate Vetrolin! I was using the ultrashield in the black bottle a couple years ago and I added a little vetrolin to change the color so people wouldn’t know what it was (fly spray tends to wander!!) and it ended up working a lot better than the spray by itself. I can dilute it with water as well and it’ll still be effective.

Larkspade and Alsosusieq2 like this.