'Best' bareback pad?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Luv4LuLu, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Luv4LuLu

Luv4LuLu Senior Member

I am just wondering what other posters recommend is the best bareback pad. I have just started riding my mare bareback and I dont like the 'chaps' look if you will when i get off :p My bum is covered in dirt and sweat on my jeans...uck! Anyway, I was just hoping to see what brand everyone enjoys the most before I take the plunge and try one. Thank you! :)

2. RowdyRio1324

RowdyRio1324 Senior Member+

I like the Cowboy Justus ones with a breastcollar. :)

3. Luv4LuLu

Luv4LuLu Senior Member

Where could I find one? i will keep this in mind, I hope to get a few more suggestions then compare for what would be best for us. I've never seen one with a breast collar...must help with sliding back issues? Thank you!

4. RowdyRio1324

RowdyRio1324 Senior Member+

I rode my gelding with it when we used to go on trail rides with tons of hills, stayed in place. ( Haha, sorry for the wording, I'm tired!)
    I have this one too:
    http://www.statelinetack.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=SLT735306 ZBR I like it..but wouldn't pay that much for it-- I bought it on sale for around 20$.

Here's the Cowboy Justus one:
    http://www.everything4equine.com/site/608390/product/CJ-BBP

I bought mine from Statelinetack and Ebay. :)

5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I hate the gross bareback pant look! It not only looks goofy but feels yucky!I'm a big fan of bareback pads and when I can't find one I've been known to opt for a saddle pad rather than nothing.

I had a cowboy justus one hen they first came out years ago and I found the material itself to be kind of slippery. But I did like that the breastcollar kept the pad in place.

My favorite pad thus far is my new one. It is a Best Friends bareback pad. It has micro suede-y stuff on top and a material on the bottom that helps keep the pad in place. My horse has giant withers and everything slips on him. But this pad stays put really well. Plus the micro suede-y stuff helps give you a little extra stick.

Here's a link for best friends website: http://www.bestfriendequine.com/barebackpads.htm. If you shop around you should be able to find a deal. I found mine on ebay for a great price.

6. VelveteenPony

VelveteenPony Senior Member

I don't have a particular brand, but the suede ones are the best. The fleece ones can get very slick especially when they're new! I would also reccomend one with a breastcollar to prevent it from turning or slipping back.

7. dream2jump

dream2jump Senior Member

I have a bareback pad that has tacky too on the bottom and it doesn't slide around on the horse. I've actually started using it quite a bit on my horse and I really like it and my horse doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I believe Country Supply sells is for $60...

8. Horsegma

Horsegma Full Member

Rider's Choice bareback pads are excellent! :)

Here is their ad on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDERS-CHOICE-H...14&_trkparms=72:1419|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

They come in several colors.

It's a knock off of the Parelli bareback pad.

The lowest price they take on Best Offer is $130.00.

I love it! It never slips and it really does grip your butt.

I had a cheaper one before this one and it was terrible.

I have also heard good feedback from the Best Friend pads, but have never seen one.

9. Arrow

Arrow Senior Member

I like the Little Joe. It has a suede top and uses a dressage girth. I rode in all kinds of terrain and on 2 CTRs with it over the course of a year, and it never slipped. It's pricey, though--about $240, so if you won't use it much, get something cheaper. It's a great pad, though, and well made.

10. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I have a L'Apogee bareback pad. I love it. Deep pile fleece, no slip, and it has a little bit of build to the rear part which gives you something to sit against. It also has the option for conversion with leathers and stirrups, and it uses a dressage girth.

However, I've never seen a more expensive bareback pad--mine was free, given to me as a product demo, but they run $500 or so.