Berry Pleasin Indeed... Samson's Thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Nov 11, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

He thinks this is an appropriate cookie begging face... After 30.5 years he still hasn't mastered the ear perk for a cookie face, so instead he just looks like a grouch... "gimme cookie NOW stupid hooman!" :rofl: MVIMG_20181201_154925.jpg Jessie tries to teach him but it's been hopeless so far... "May I pretty please with sugar on top, have a cookie please most wonderful mom in the world?" (Flattery works for me and she gets them the cookies) :rofl:
    IMG_20181126_184606.jpg

2. Cat Ballou

Cat Ballou Senior Member

Oh my goodness he is so cute and in such good shape I would never have guessed him to be 30! Great pictures, I love his eyes :D So glad you ended up together. And it's crazy he reminded me so much of my old sorrel gelding in every way, down to the white foot. I looked up his pedigree and they both have pep breeding, my boy is in his mid 20s now and I was wondering if I should retire him but you guys are making me think twice! He's still as sassy as ever too. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. DocsLglyBlonde

Wow!!! They do look super similar! Body shape, markings, and everything!

Cat Ballou likes this.
  4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I think having them in age (and condition) appropriate work is best, my old gelding really started to go down hill when I retired him, i mean he was about 37 at the time so maybe it was just a coincidence. I got him when he was ~28 and I was 12 and retired him when I got pregnant when I was 21(so he was ~37) he lived another 11 years(~48) but after I retired him is when I started having trouble keeping weight on him. I just lost him in August. I know I got way more time with him then anyone would ever expect but I still get teary eyed thinking about him (like now lol)

5. DocsLglyBlonde

Poor guy is a little thrushy again in his central sulci, which has always been a struggle with him, but this monstrous amount of rain we've been having doesn't help. They were looking so good until the last couple days :( His feet look so much better than they've ever looked before too, so when they've been dry they've looked great. I'm sick of rain :cautious: On top of that, he had some cow patty poops this morning that seem to have improved, but the poor guy was having a rough day! He enjoyed a very thorough grooming though. Good news is, you get to see some Samson in sneaker photos :p IMG_20181203_153944_031.jpg IMG_20181203_141452.jpg MVIMG_20181203_141430~2.jpg MVIMG_20181203_141428~2.jpg

mooselady, Pony123, SkyeTiger and 4 others like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

He is worried. Very worried. Only cookies can help.
    ...I am still not over his cookie "begging" face. Looks like he wants to mug you. "Gimme the cookies or else!"

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

His feet are looking so much better with the decrease in rain, thankfully. He got a fresh haircut today and was just flipping adorable all clipped up. I left his belly as is, so he has a good amount of hair left on him still. They got a warm ACV and coconut oil aftershave, which Jessie thought was for eating. Sam's face was getting nasty from his eating habits, so he'll be much better off now :oops: :rolleyes: His weight is looking perfect which I'm happy about!
    MVIMG_20181215_145851~2.jpg IMG_20181215_145942_1.jpg IMG_20181215_145946.jpg

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Googly and not-so googly SamSam! You know, he reminds me of "my" Goofy. He always showed a lot of white in his eyes since he had the habit of following you with his eyes instead of turning his head to see you better. Looks like Samson's doing that too...
    He is looking fine, really in tip top shade for a 30 yo.
    Is coconut oil harmful to horses? I know there are different studies that show how beneficial or harmful coconut oil is to ingest (depending on who's paying for the study)...
    Since it has been used without harmful effect by many different cultured I don't see abything wrong with using it to cook or for skincare. The scent is lovely and I am sure horses would enjoy the sweet taste. Has anyone made horse cookies themselves? A friend of mine made yumny ones years ago using rolled oats and honey. They were so tasty I am not sure how many remained for the horses..
    Not sure if there was any fat in those. If so, migjt be worth a try to exchange the butter/margarine with coconut oil.

9. DocsLglyBlonde

I've made horse cookies with coconut oil before, and they've loved them! I think moderation is key, as it is with just about everything. From the research I've done myself (for people) quality coconut oil is a healthy fat source in my opinion.

And thank you for the Samson compliments! He does tend to follow with his eyes. We managed some (horse) "family" photos today, so I'll have to go through them and see if any are any good... My dad was photographer and I think he took more purposeful blooper photos than anything else :p

ginster likes this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

What a freakin cutie pie. These were from our Christmas photo shoot :love:
    IMG_1600 (4).JPG
    IMG_1623 (3).JPG IMG_1624 (2).JPG
    And my favorite :heartbeat:
    IMG_20181216_184548_489.jpg

Cat Ballou, ginster, Pony123 and 2 others like this.