Berry Pleasin Indeed... Samson's Thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Nov 11, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Jessie has a thread, and I love sharing Old Man Sam photos but hate cluttering up other threads, so I figured he could have his own thread too. He's pretty cool. He is worthy of one :p

Samson (Berry Pleasin), is an April 1, 1988 baby, making him 30 1/2.

I had lost my first horse, Frosty, very tragically in September, 2003. I had only gotten her in May, worked incredibly hard to improve her health, but she unfortunately succumbed to what was believed to be a spinal tumor after a rapid neurological decline. I was devastated, especially only being 9 years old. I had never felt loss like that in my life, and didn't know how to begin to get through it.

Come November, we saw our family friends, told them about our loss, and they said they had a horse who could use more attention. I met Samson, liked him but wasn't sold, the daughter who cared for him was upset coming to terms with the fact that she didn't have time for him anymore, so we decided on a free lease to start. We soon learned Samson was an aggressive biter, and needed quite a refresher undersaddle. Within the first couple of weeks, he bit me (hard) and bucked me off. He took full advantage of my inexperience. I wanted to end the lease, especially still grieving Frosty, but my mom insisted we keep working with him because he was smart and needed us. Fast forward a couple years, and he was a solid horse. He, at one point, had serious training done with him, just needed a refresher to bring it out.

He definitely has his scars. He fell over a jump with his owner before our friends had him, and broke her leg. He has an incredible amount of scars on him, I think from that fall plus hard handed training at some point :( When he's cold and his fur stands up, you can see he is riddled with scars across his rump and flanks.

He still bites on occasion, and can be quite flighty and fearful on the ground. Undersaddle, while he can still be frisky, he is absolutely bombproof. The worst he'll do is freeze and get more bug eyed. He still throws a buck on occasion though :rolleyes:

He had a bad impaction colic maybe 4 years ago? He was impacted FIVE days :eek: He had ulcers from being fasted, and that is when I revamped his entire diet to get him on a hay free diet. Since then, get has been fat and happy, and doing incredibly well.

Besides his teeth being old and useless for chewing hay, some expected stiffness before he warms up, and a tendency to get thrushy and soft footed (though this has improved greatly with our current farrier), he has nothing stopping him from continuing to enjoy some work. He does have a heart murmur (pretty significant on auscultation - expected to be aortic regurge from age), which is part of why I don't love working him in hot and humid summer months, but it doesn't seem to affect him at all. He actually gets incredibly jealous and crabby if Jessie gets worked and he doesn't :p

So, here is Samson from today and the last couple of weeks! I've been getting him out more regularly. I'm kind of hoping we can do a beach ride, finally, this winter. He's pretty cute, and I'm so glad I was convinced to stick him out. He has taught me so, so much, and don't know what I'd do without him :love: Also, I swear he knows when the camera is on him, strikes a pose, and can't take a bad photo (googly eyes and all) :rofl:

IMG_20181028_151834_2.jpg

IMG_20181109_140741.jpg IMG_20181109_140531.jpg IMG_20181111_145525.jpg IMG_20181111_144944_379.jpg MVIMG_20181111_143208~2.jpg Snapchat-1945749785.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

You weren't kidding about his eyes!!! He's so adorable!!:heartbeat:

And I don't believe that he's ever bucked, he looks way to calm:LOL:

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

My back would tell you otherwise right now :rofl: He throws twisting bucks, and is so wide and low, he really gets some good force behind them! He pulled one two weeks ago through a canter transition, and almost got me off because I wasn't expecting it. It tweaked my back and it's still getting irritated if I overdo it. He also bucked me off for the first time in years and years, 2 years ago, tearing my meniscus and giving me some on and off knee issues (I still don't blame him whatsoever for that one). Lol He's been very well behaved the last few rides though :p

GONE ROPING, ginster and Puddincup like this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

Here's his pedigree too if anyone cares to peek. I don't know much about this stuff, but know his grand sire, Berry Impressive, was fairly popular! I think it's fun to look at the old horse's pedigrees too, to see what differences there are in today's breeding.
    Berry Pleasin Quarter Horse

ginster likes this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

And a gif of his buggy eyes :rofl:
    20181111_203642.gif

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Samson of the Googly Eyes!
    He always looks so worried...
    Thank you for creating this thread, that gif alone is fulfilling all my "Samson needs".

7. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

He looks fantastic!! I absolutely adore the oldies...have 4 myself and they are the best!

8. DocsLglyBlonde

These ones need to be here too.

First, at his 30th birthday party this year. He unfortunately had an infected tooth that had affected his sinuses, so he had a little snot drainage that still hadn't cleared up yet with treatment for his big day.
    FB_IMG_1542024442683.jpg FB_IMG_1542024439007.jpg FB_IMG_1542024448997.jpg
    Then early June I think, this year with his gorgeous summer coat after a bath :love:
    FB_IMG_1542024387646.jpg FB_IMG_1542024379380.jpg

Oh and it's worth noting for anyone wondering, he gets a full face clip in winter for hygiene reasons. He gets more mush food on his face than in his mouth and it's a disaster if he is unclipped. And he's cuter clipped. :LOL:

Cat Ballou, tlwidener, Bebe and 4 others like this.
  9. DocsLglyBlonde

They really are! I kind of do and don't wish I could look into their past and know what they've been through, for those that spent the earlier part of their lives without us. I think Samson was trained Western initially (and still neck reins well), but also I think got some basic dressage, and I know he jumped. I think he was a lesson horse at one point too? I just wish I could learn more.

I did get in touch with his owner when he was a 2 year old. She said he was always well behaved, then one day he just attacked her in the paddock and she feared him after that, making things worse. She did send me 4 year old photos though, shortly before she sold him. He's had like, 8 owners or something. I'd have to go double check, but was passed around almost every 2 years until he was 15.
    FB_IMG_1542025654574.jpg

ginster and SkyeTiger like this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

That's so great and thanks for sharing the story. A friend of mine owned a daughter of Berry Impressive and she could get real broncy under saddle. She looks alot like Samson too!