Benefit of the doubt? *criticism*

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Heavenly Jumper, Nov 21, 2010.

1. silverblu

silverblu Senior Member+

I really don't care for the whole internet mob mentality. To me it's childish and just not a good thing.

SparkleDust and FlowerChild like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Nobody goes into a thread, looks around it, sees that everyone else is annoyed, as they are, and THEN decides to "join in a mob". So, there is no "mob mentality". What is actually happening is that the majority of members read the OP and write similar responses to the OP's original post. Now, you see this ALL THE TIME, and it may be positive posts that are "mobbing" the thread, or negative posts. There is no "mob mentality" it is that each individual is answering the post.

Nobody receives negative responses just because a group of individuals "FEEL LIKE" they should jump on someone, have a burning desire to dump on someone. Mobs stem from outside issues which effect their mentality and then they all join together and trash INNOCENT PEOPLE for something that is externally influencing them.
    If someone posts something that is in some way offensive, that will illicit negative responses. That's how it is. It is not the effect of Mob mentality. Best to just ignore that and post what you want to post concerning the OP. Jumping on "the mob" and telling them to stop does no good as each new reader came into the thread, read the OP and won't see your admonition, so can't give it weight and are unlikely to give it weight even if they had seen it, and will post their own reply.

3. silverblu

silverblu Senior Member+

Yes. And sometimes it really IS a mob.

2 people like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That would be your perception. My perception is a mob unites while in close proximity and is pushed by the tide of the emotions of the group to unite. You have no similarity to state here because each person reads the Post on their own, nobody else is sitting there telling them how they feel about it; the rest of the membership here isn't rallied around all protesting the OP before, during or while the member is reading the original post, so there is no "mob" influence to me.

1 person likes this.
  5. silverblu

silverblu Senior Member+

So. I guess this no longer applies.....

1 person likes this.
  6. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

No, it does!!! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. silverblu

silverblu Senior Member+

Only sometimes.....

8. ChestersMomma

Nope! All the time! I think the sticking point for you is that threads are moderated by moderators, not members with strong opinions ;)

3 people like this.
  9. silverblu

silverblu Senior Member+

I wouldn't have any problem with fair moderation, as well as being allowed my OWN opinion, whether YOU happen to like it or not. You know, just like others?

Reigne likes this.
  10. ChestersMomma

Well then I'm sure you're very happy here. We allow everyone their own opinion! However, if you choose to voice you opinion in way that violates the rules you agreed to on sign up, you will be reprimanded accordingly.

I know you haven't been around all that long, but if your 'yous' are directed at me personally, you'll find I take great interest in participating in heated debates with people of differing opinion. It is possible to amicably disagree on issues and enjoy a nice debate. HGS is capable, even if it sometimes requires moderator intervention to keep it civilly on track.