Beginning to think Spring! And shedding...

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by CautionWetPaint, Feb 24, 2019.

1. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

I know it's only February, but I can't help but dream about Spring! And that leads me to ask, what is the quickest way to shed out a hairy horse? I have a breed show the first weekend in May, and I need my horse to be somewhat sleek looking. Other than body clipping, what ways can I slick out a pretty much pastured, non-blanketed horse? Do I start lights around late March/early April? I live in Iowa if that helps.

2. Barrelracer318

Barrelracer318 Senior Member

I live in Northeast Ohio and our horses are starting to shed out. As soon as the days started getting longer they slowly started. The best thing to do is lots of currying and using a shedding blade. You can also use a shop vac with either the regular end or get some type of horse brush attachment at the end. A vacuum will help pull off any loose hair and dander and really increase the natural shine of their coat.

RusticR likes this.
  3. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

My horses are in the UP of MI and have been shedding HARD since feb 2nd. Like dead animal amounts of hair in the aisle off each horse groomed DAILY!

Which is weird for us...

When I have done breed shows my horse went to the trainers basically the last week of feb/first week of March and she was pretty much shed out by May 1st

However... she’s always blanketed so never grows a thick shaggy coat to begin with.

I think you need to get under lights right now! Especially if your horse isn’t shedding hard already.

Once they get shedding this is what I do. Daily curry curry curry curry curry some more. Seriously your arms need to feel like falling off. I use a shed flower to start and after I’ve gone over them good a couple times I use my rubber curry. Once I’ve curried really good I like to use my sleekEZ (has a metal blade. Some people don’t use metal on hair. I’ve not had issues) and this pulls all the loose hair off. Once I’ve done this until I can’t get anymore hair I usually will vacuum all the dirt up from the coat (this is the step I’ll skip if I’m in a hurry) and then brush. To finish I spray the horse in healthy hair care or equifuse rehydrinse conditioner spray (I alternate) and then curry that in really well. Back in their blanket and off they go. Lol

Whole process gets done about 4-5 times a week (I find grooming cathartic and don’t ride much/not busy this time of year). Start to finish takes 20 mins without vacuuming or 30 mins with vacuuming. Though that includes getting my vacuum out and putting it away. Lol

kodemiester and CautionWetPaint like this.
  4. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

Will start lights ASAP. Sadly, both of my horses are showing no signs of losing hair anytime soon. We also just had a massive snow storm and windchill levels at - 35. Though they were both in the barn, the snow and cold still came in. Next year, I'm going to do myself a big favor and just blanket and do lights from the start so they don't get the thick coats to begin with. I absolutely hate shedding season!!!

RusticR likes this.
  5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

I second lights, a Sleek Ez blade, and blankets. My horse didn’t grow much of a coat because he was blanketed.

Donkey on the other hand... he will be clipped because he doesn’t shed well.

6. billz

billz Full Member

My girl started shedding last week. However, she didn't grow much coat to begin with and I plan to groom her pretty regularly to help with the itchiness that always drives them crazy. I used a shedding blade last night, gently, but it didn't really do much except to help loosen more of the ground in mud, which was nice. It's started and I'll just let it come of naturally. My favorite tool has been a soft rubber curry with deep fingers that pulls out anything loose.