Before & After Supplements: Super Dark Rich Coat!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Fancy That, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Regarding Coat Color & Bleaching:

Thought I'd share our before & after with my mare, Fancy. Have had her for 14 years, since she was age 3. I've never had her on supplements until just this past January (6 months, barely) She's now 17.

So prior to January, for 14 years, she's only had 100% grass hay with salt block and mineral block. That's it. No supplements (or grain for that matter :)

Since January of this year, DAILY, she's had the following supplements (no grain...LOL.....doesn't need it)
    • California Trace Plus (vitamin & mineral supplement made for horses who eat West-Coast-grown-hay with extra Copper, too)
    • Omega Horse Shine (basically for the ground FLAX :)
    • Supreme Top Form (joint supplement made by Pan American Veterinary Corp)

I added Paprika, daily, in early May, because I was stunned by how dark her coat is and wanted it to stay that way. But I didn't include in above list because I think I started it too late for any impact.

So now for the story and pictures. Fancy always fades/bleaches out twice a year. Her summer coat bleaches to a rusty brown, and her winter coat bleaches the same. But every spring and fall she'd come in with a fresh dark chocolate coat. It just quickly bleached.

THIS YEAR, her coat came in nearly black, it was so dark chocolate. And.....it's usually started to bleach out by now and it's still dark chocolate. I think I started the paprika too "late", as she's just starting to bleach a tiny bit where the saddle goes (sweat)

I have NO idea which supplement or combination helped her coat come in SO DARK and beautiful and it's STAYING darker, for longer. Maybe I'll give an update towards end of summer too.

BEFORE supplements, this was her coat in May at the SAME Hunter Pace event. See how bleached/light it is? This has been her normal pattern for 14 years.
    [​IMG]

AFTER supplements, this is her coat in May - last month - at the SAME Hunter Pace event:
    [​IMG]

And a couple more to show how dark she came in this spring...pics from May. (she always comes in dark coated with the spring coat, but not quite THIS dark and its lasted longer so far)
    [​IMG]

Some of this is in the shadow, but you an see where the sunlight is....still dark!
    [​IMG]

And - here's a pic from YESTERDAY, June 4....she'd normally be bleaching out by crazy by now. But she's still fairly dark:
    [​IMG]

No other changes have been made. She's always been out in pasture 24/7, her whole life. She's never worn a sheet or even fly sheet. So it must be the supplements? Not sure which ones, but I'm keeping her on it (actually the whole herd is on it, but she's the only horse we have who changes color so drastically with each season, so you can "see" the impact of the supplements more, with her)

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Cool! You know I LOVE LOVE LOVE MISS FANCY!!! She is stunning and I love the smiles. I have used flax a long time. Here is a picture of miss Bluebirdy...Severus is sleeping behind her...he's just as shiny. lol
    0428160838_HDR.jpg

3. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Nice shiny horses!!! I realize all the pics I posted above were on overcast days with no "shine" appearing but she has tons of shine, too! Might need a better picture to show that as well.

I have noticed extra shine on the other horses. Their color doesn't change, but Fancy is unusual in that regard :)

BluemoonOKy and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Goodnight nurse is that a shiny coat, you almost need sunglasses BluemoonOKy. That flaxseed I'm going to have to start using on myself. ;)

D_BaldStockings and BluemoonOKy like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

FancyThat, that colour deepend tremendously. You've definitely made a point on "you are what you eat" that coat looks great!! :sneaky:

Varisha and Fancy That like this.
  6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I know it. They look so good...course, it's the Kentucky grass this spring, too! But, flax is awesome. i know it has helped my gelding recover from his surgery snappily.

I only feed...orchard/ alfalfa mix. They are on free choice pasture, but hay in nets in stalls when they want to come in. Good clean water and free choice salt.
    Mccauleys m10 ration balancer, pint dry then soaked beet pulp with mccauleys biotime and mccauleys vitamin e / selenium. Sometimes I add a little source for macronutrients.
    They get a little grain...mccauleys wb100 or top ten. My Gelding, Sev, needs a little more than Blue. More in winter and hardly any in the summer. And, a cup of flax.
    @Fancy That how much paprika are you adding? Blue did have some nice dapples this spring...

Fancy That and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I started adding milled Flaxseed to my omelet last month and taking my vitamin/mineral tab also.. I don't feel any better really,but the split thumbnail has grown out whole and my skin does look better.. If my gray hair turns back dark I'll let you know.

8. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

So with what I'm feeding, and the healthy scoop of flaxseed (via Omega Horseshine), do you all think that is what has deepened her coat the most? I've heard the copper in CA Trace Plus can help, and as well, I've heard the joint supplement I use also helps skin, coat, hooves (and joints)

So it's hard for me to pin it down! But I love how much deeper her color came in and has stayed, so far!

9. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I don't think it affects you Fancythat but paprika apparently does test in some show disciplines - so reminder for readers to check before feeding it.
    I have been feeding camelina seed and have good results with it.

10. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

Wow, what a difference! The liver chestnut really does show with the supplements. I've had Luna on
    Omega Horseshine for three seasons the last few years and she is pretty shiny, as well!

Fancy That likes this.