beet pulp

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by tobylover, Sep 9, 2012.

1. tobylover

tobylover Senior Member

Is it true that beet pulp is healthier for horses without molasses? I checked Tractor Supply a while ago and both brands contained molasses. I'm going to a local country store on Tuesday so I will see if they have any without it.

2. Bumper

Bumper Senior Member+

The amount of molasses added to some beet pulp is tiny actually. It wouldn't be an issue for my horses but since BP with molasses added is not available here, it's a moot point.

I think just plain beet pulp is fine as it is. Some manufacturers add molasses to make it more palatable, but my horses devour it plain with no problems. They always have. To answer your question, is it bp w/o molasses better for them? probably, but again, it's not a huge amount.

1 person likes this.
  3. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

Bumper is correct. There is not enough molasses in it to make much difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Gizimomo86

Gizimomo86 Senior Member

I feed it no problem to my boarderline insulin resistant gelding. He colics with sugary grain and super green hay. I have not had a problem with him on it yet.

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

"safe" is relative.

For most horses, yes, it's quite safe - they get far more sugar from their hay/grass.

But for some insulin resistant horses, event he "plain" beep has to be soaked and rinses at least once, and if you're having to use the stuff with added molasses, then you're looking at a lot of rinsing and soaking. Most horses do not fall in that category though