Beet pulp?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by juliesowner, Mar 24, 2005.

1. juliesowner

juliesowner Senior Member+

I am thinking about feeding beet pulp to my TB to help him gain weight. I need you guys to tell me everything you know about beet pulp. Thanks.

2. devilishjumper

devilishjumper Senior Member+

everything i know hmmm... there's water in it lol

and wait till it expands before you feed it like wait after you make it cause it isn't good to have it expand in their stomach

3. ladida

ladida Senior Member+

We feed our tb beet pulp, and it works REALLY well. First you should start out with half a coffee cup and gradually work it up to the desired amount. Our tb gets about a scoop and a half, pelleted.
    Pelleted and shredded expand to different sizes, (pelleted was 3 times as much!) We soak ours overnight, or else when it expands it will cause colic.
    Also i think another great benefit to it is you can give your horse more water. It also is a lot of fiber and only 10% protein, which is good if your hay isnt the best (like at our barn GRRRR)
    It is also not high energy which is important if you have a tb.

4. HorseFreak

HorseFreak Senior Member+

My brother feeds it to his show heifers on show days. All i know though.

5. juliesowner

juliesowner Senior Member+

OK. Thanks for the info.

6. Megs

Megs Senior Member+

great stuff, all my horses get it in the winter, great for keeping weight on the 2 tbs and the old skinny qh. work it up slowly as ladida said. my tb gets roughly 2 coffe cans every night. i always soak mine during the day (start it at like 8am and feed at 6pm). apparently there are studies done that you can feed it in pellit form and its fine, but id never try it since i always heard it can cause colic if fed unsoaked .

7. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Senior Member

You should do a search. There have been many threads on beet pulp. We use the pelleted and you don't have to soak it that long. I use warm water and soak for 1/2 to 1 hour. I keep it in the garage and do it before I take my shower in the morning. And at night I fix it while I'm cooking supper (we feed 6:30 pm).

8. Paints4me

Paints4me Senior Member+

I feed it... but Im pretty impatient, so I just wet it, and then feed it. My pony does great on it, its the only thing that keeps his weight on. Id reccomend it!!

9. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

Beet pulp has been researched and shows you dont have to soak it. It didnt cause choke or stomaches to explode- horses were fed beet pulp as 45% of there total diet and noted no ill effects what so ever. You can safely as much as you want, it is considered a fiber not a grain and fiber is the most important part of a horses diet.. As with any new feed to the horses diet, you need to slowly work up to the desired amount and for putting weight on horses you can find yourself feeding a gallon or more a day. Beet pulp is such a good fiber source you can also feed it in place of hay.
    Beet pulps crude protein content is relatively low(averaging 8 to 10%) and its comparable to good quality hay. Its digestible energy is somewhere between that of hay and grain. Its an excellent source of digestible fiber.
    You can also add veg/corn/ or soy oil to the beet pulp(up to 2 cups a day) for great weight gain and holding. Oils have been researched to show horses do well on fats with out digestive upset and fats are a better energy source. Horses utilize fat energy easier than starches from grains.
    Beet pulp information go to http://www.thehorse.com/printarticle.aspx?ID=314

juliesowner likes this.
  10. Sue B

Sue B Senior Member+

Good info ejforrest....I feed beet plup to all my horses, for extra calories in winter and for weight grain or maintenance on hardkeepers like TBs. I use the shreds...they soak up in about 10 mins.

Beep pulp doesn't expand in the stomach because it isn't going into water, it goes into a highly concentracted acid made for breaking down food. It also doesn't expand in the esphogus and cause choke any more than any other type of food might. If it is pelleted, then there is a greater chance as with any pellet. It is not a problem with the food, but a problem with how fast the horse eats, how much and how well it chews, and how good its teeth are that causes choke. A horse prone to choke can choke on anything it eats.

You can serve beet plup dry, damp, or as wet as you like. Some horses prefer it damp...others like it soupy. Like others have already said, start out with a small amount mixed in with their regurlar feed. If you plan on feeding it seperately for an extra meal, then mix a little feed into it until they get used to it.