Beet pulp (changing brands?)

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ChieflaStables, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ChieflaStables

ChieflaStables Senior Member

I buy my beet pulp from Tractor supply, and this last time I went to get some, they had changed brands on me, I just opened the bad today, to find that it looked totally different than the other beet pulp I was buying from them. . . they're both beet pulp shreds, but this new bag, it's like got a different texture to the beet pulp and its a reddish color, and my other beet pulp was all light brownish colored, it also has a smell to it when it's right in the bad (dry) that my other beet pulp did not.

main question here is . . . will it be ok to just switch them over from that old beet pulp, and today a totally different kind? ? ?

2. LateralFlexion

LateralFlexion Senior Member+

Did the old one have molasses in it?

3. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

Most store bought beet pulp has molassas in it unless you order it without.
    I had to buy beet pulp at Tractor Supply too and it was different than my original beet pulp. My horses didnt care for it. I had to add alfalfal pellets to it to make them eat it. It is still beet pulp, just differently chopped or processed. If your horses like it that way, feed it. You can feed the same amount as you were feeding, remember, it is beet pulp. Not a new or totally different type of feed stuff.

4. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

I would look at the tail tag of the new bag and see what's on the ingredient list. Even when I've accidently picked up a bag of beet pulp with molasas it's never had a reddish color to it (?)

5. ChieflaStables

well.. you see the beet pulp I had before, and the beet pulp I have now both say "beet pulp shreds with molasses"

the first one I had was shreds (brownish/greyish color) and this one when soaked is fluffier, but redish looking with a funky smell, and I tried to feed it, and only 1 out of 7 of the horses I feed it too WOULD eat it, so... I think thats pretty bad.

thanks guys, I was just hopeing it wouldn't hurt them, but like you said ejforrest , it is beet pulp. . . but since they aren't eating it, I guess I'll try southern states and see what their beet pulp looks like . . if I'm lucky it'll be close to the same as the beet pulp I was buying. :)

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

It's fine. Even within the same brand a bag can look different.

7. ChieflaStables

southern states sells the exact same brand as tractor supply. so i guess they're just going to have to get used to eating this new brand! hopefully they'll start eating it. so far 2 of them are eating it. the rest still wont touch it.