beet pulp and chickens?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Varisha, May 7, 2008.

1. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member+

So I'm feeding beet soaked pulp pellets to my horses now and my chickens have been scavenging what they can. ... Is it safe for them? If not I can just keep them locked up until the horses are completly done.

2. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

It shouldn't hurt them. Mine used to eat grass and old veggie skins, so I imagine it would be similar to that.

3. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

Mine have been eating it for years :) I used to purposfully give them a bit when I was feeding it to my horses. They like it, and I can't see that it would hurt them. My chickens are free range, so I imagine they could come up with something worse to eat!

Kristina

4. osage

osage Senior Member+

should be fine...
    It's crazy, even my cats try to eat it...lol

5. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member+

thanks guys.

My chickens free range too and love to sneak into the horses feed pans. I figured it would be ok but wanted to see if anyone knew of issues with it. Mine do get all kinds of extras besides thier layer feed such as the grass they eat themselves and some leftovers and who knows how many kinds of bugs they eat.

My dog tried some one time and made a face gave me an odd look and walked away.

6. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member+

7. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

Beet pulp really is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I have rehabbed several horses with it, and my easy keepers consider it a "treat" to get some "grain," along with those that need real grain, lol.

Kristina

8. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member+

The only 'problem' I have with the stuff now is that because of my schedule I end up with it stored and soaking in my fridge... not much room for my food now.. LOL

9. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

10. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

LOL, you need to check your local classifieds listings. Quite often you can find working refridgerators for free. Or get a Mini fridge that is big eough to hold a 5 gallon bucket :D

Kristina