Been sitting on this....

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by OldGreyMare, Sep 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM.

1. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Way back when my good friends had Trixie, they bred her to a nice QH stallion, why a QH I don't know but Trixie had a beautiful little filly, they named Luna. For whatever reason, after I got Trixie, they never really did anything with Luna and some time back, she was sold to a man who was going to breed her to a nice registered Blue Ribbon Farm Percheron.

Fast forward 2 weeks ago, he got a hold of me, as I have always had 1st right of refusal on her and asked if I was still interested in her, which of course I said yes. They had bred her and I was told she either slipped the foal or never caught...so...she will be coming to me the first weekend of October:
    [​IMG]

She has all the ground work done, but isn't trained to do anything, so there is a lot of potential there. She is about 16H so perfect size for me and I have some great trainers around me who can help saddle break her if that is what I want to do with her.
    [​IMG]

Luna will be thoroughly checked over by my vet once she comes, will be quarantined for several weeks, I noted in the photo one hind fetlock is a bit swollen, I suspect that is the old bowed tendon I was told about. Even if she ends up being a pasture mate for the 3 elders, she will have a home that will love and dote on her. I feel I owe it to Trixie to ensure her only foal is taken care of, not passed from hand to hand to hand like so many drafts and half drafts are.

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

She looks like a kind soul and quite easy on the eyes.
    Hopefully the PPE comes up clean!
    Either way, I am glad she landed safely with you!

OldGreyMare likes this.
  3. OldGreyMare

Thanks Ginster...this is just something I had to do. Trixie was a phenomenal mare, she brought so much love to our farm and I know my vet will be excited, haven't told her yet.

Arem and ginster like this.
  4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Nice mare,bless you for taking her on

OldGreyMare likes this.
  5. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I'm glad you have that piece of Trixie, that is wonderful. She's a nice looking horse, hopefully the fetlock isn't too much of a hindrance. She will have a good home with you. Congrats!

Arem and OldGreyMare like this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

She is gorgeous, congrats

OldGreyMare likes this.
  7. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

She’s stunning!!!

OldGreyMare likes this.
  8. OldGreyMare

Thank you all....I have to give the hubby a big kudo's too as I didn't really give him a choice, but he has taken it in stride and I know he is looking forward to this as well, Trixie was "his" girl...she sure loved him as well.

Now to get the pasture and everything set up...I have this week to do so, I want to cut it down again one more time before she comes, get the trough set up, will go get a hay round once it gets closer, and yes, I have some butterflies in my stomach.

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  9. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

I’m so excited for you! I don’t comment on enough threads, but your percherons were stunning. She’s a beautiful cross, not too heavy or light. :)

Luna is such a pretty, fitting name. I can’t wait for more photos!

OldGreyMare and ginster like this.
  10. heartland

heartland Senior Member

She’s beautiful! So happy for you :D

OldGreyMare likes this.