Bear-trap saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by SweetIron, Apr 13, 2007.

1. SweetIron

SweetIron Senior Member+

This is something new to me.. an older friend said that she has one, and since she is getting on in years, she said that it helps give her a sturdier seat if her horse decides to do something unexpected like spook, or bolt..
    But are they dangerous in that they could potentially "trap" you in your seat if your horse rolled over, etc? Just shooting for comments from anyone who knows.. they look like a Western saddle, but with a deeper seat and higher cantle..?

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

[​IMG] Bear trap
    from Country Supply​

3. riding_reaper

riding_reaper Senior Member+

I was about to get that saddle a few years ago.

4. Sue B

Sue B Senior Member+

Bear traps are an old style that were used for barrel racing/gaming because of the security of the seat. The "trap" part comes form the swept-back pommel and deep seat. I don't believe that anyone could actually get "trapped" in one unless the seat was too small and they were stuffed in it....even then it would be questionable. The swept-back pommel gives you something to put your legs against and makes the seat "tighter" but, it doesn't really inhibit your ability to get in or out of the saddle as needed....there is still plenty of room for your legs.....the pommel shouldn't be touching them any more than with any other saddle.

5. icyssunset

icyssunset Senior Member

My barrel saddle is a bear trap, and there I think that it is easier to stay in on. But you aren't going to get stuck in it, unless you are in one that is way too small for you. I'm snug in mine, but not tight and I'm fine.

6. Top Dun

Top Dun Senior Member+

I have an old model saddle like this that used to belong to my dad and I LOVE it. The horse got broken off years ago and so it looks like an endurance saddle on top and that makes it totally perfect for training young horses who might have a tendency to buck. (no horn to poke you in the stomach.)
    One time I was riding a friends well trained but spoiled horse that had gotten into a bucking habit. My friend was to scared to ride her any more. So I put my saddle on and rode her around. The mare started bucking and I just locked my knees under the swells and rode out her bucking.

Additionally I'm looking for a new one saddle with the Bear trap swells in a 14" seat. So if you see one I'd love to see them also. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  7. aBreeze

aBreeze Senior Member+

I really havent seen any nice, new bear traps on the market lately... I own one, got it years ago and even then it was very used. I love it, but it doesnt fit any of my horses currently. You dont really notice the difference until your balance is in jeopardy, and then you truly appreciate it. :)

my own personal love...
    [​IMG]

8. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator Staff Member

Unless the horse has a unexpected bad fall i would think that the rider could get themselves out of the saddle in plenty of time.
    In the case of the horse rolling..... if your horse is going to drop down and roll (and you can't stop them) then you take your feet out of the stirrups and step off as the horse is going down....:wink:

9. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member

OHHH, I need one of those for my grey horse!!

10. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

Doesn't look THAT much different from the new dressage saddles with all the "support" :rolleyes: i.e big deep seat and huge knee and thigh blocks. Strap a bucking strap on those puppies, don your full seat breeches and saddle tite and it'll take an earthquake to get you out of there. :eek: