Baucher vs Loose Ring vs D-ring vs Full Cheek

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Shoney, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Shoney

Shoney Senior Member

Alrighty.. as the title says, I'm trying to pick my rings lol.
    I've decided on a french link, but for the side pieces, I can't really decide. Here's what I"m going on, need some help on which one to do. I do Mounted Games, not sure if that really matters.

What exactly does a baucher do that's different? A little more leverage? Just curious.
    What mouthpiece would you suggest?

2. Surfinggetsmeup

Surfinggetsmeup Senior Member

For mounted games I would go with the full cheek snaffle. Control on the sides for the turning and whatnot while the ability for levrage with bit keepers.

3. Shoney

Shoney Senior Member

Okies :) I'll keep that in mind :)

4. Surfinggetsmeup

Surfinggetsmeup Senior Member

Bouchers are good because they keep the bit stable in the mouth because of the 'arms', so if you have a touchy or sensitive mouthed horse, it is helpful.

It does not create poll pressure though, contrary to popular beilef.

5. MuleyGirl

MuleyGirl Full Member

Ditto on the Baucher French Link- I really like this snaffle, it stays much steadier and quiet in the horse's mouth, and there is no leverage involved. I don't like full cheeks, they work well, but they are always hooking on something if you don't use keepers, and most people don't.

6. Shoney

Shoney Senior Member

I always use keepers with my full cheeks, I don't like not using them.. I was just raised using them.
    So for a very touchy, yet hard mouth, a baucher would be a good idea?

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

A baucher works pretty much the exact same as a full cheek if it's used with keepers. Generally a baucher will be preferable because full cheeks can/do get hung on stuff. Full cheeks will provide a bit more pressure on the outside sides of the mouth because of the longer arms. (Such as pulling on the right rein will put pressure on the left side of the horse's face/mouth.) Both bits are very stable in the horse's mouth. They also cause the mouthpiece to sit slightly further up on the tongue and not 'droop'. Some horses just like this better, but it can also be helpful for horses that get their tongue over the bit.

A d-ring will provide the lateral (side of mouth) pressure that a full cheek does (varying with the size of the 'D'). But it will not give you the option of using it with keepers. On the other hand, it eliminates the safety issue of the arms on the full cheek.

A loose ring is going to provide a really loose feel in the horse's mouth. More movement will be transferred through the reins to the horse even if you don't actually engage the bit.

I know you didn't mention it, but I'll throw eggbutt in as well as it's also a commonly found cheekpiece. It is going to provide a similar feel to a d-ring but is not going to have the lateral pressure/stability. Kind of like a loose ring in that regard but without the 'looseness'.

I use any of the above occassionally. I have a baucher that's probably my favourite (it's an oval/bean link, not technically a french link). I have a couple of loose rings that I also use quite often, but that's more so because of the mouthpiece I happen to have them in (one is a myler comfort snaffle, the other is a half moon link).

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Dawn hit the nail on the head as far as al lthe different types -- GREAT JOB!

Only think to add is that the loose ring can deter horses from hanging on the bit, because if the grab it, the mouth piece will slide through the rings, and therefore there is less to "hang" on. I'm saying that a horse can't hang on this bit, but there's less to hand on than any other cheek piece.

9. TheJazzPony

TheJazzPony Senior Member+

MY horse was handled rather harshly in her initial training, and had some fear of the bit. She liked the full cheek, because (with keepers) the bit was held in one place, and she didn't have to worry about it moving in her mouth. I don't use it any more, but it really helped her feel "Safe" with the bit. The first time I put it on her, so was more relaxed and confident.
    I don't know if that's Shoney's problem or not, but bauchers also work well, though they have more play than a full cheek, but most horses I know like them, and there isn't risk of getting stuff caught. Either way you'll get more lateral control, which can help when neck reining in mounted games.

10. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

I use a Boucher/baucher (whichever you prefer :p) and LOVE it. I've found it gives me a lot more turning power and my horse turns MUCH quicker than with a full cheek snaffle. I ride a Clydesdale, so that's saying something LOL. Riding him is like steering a ship. :rofl: