Battling Terrible White Line Disease! Need Help and Advice!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by GONE ROPING, Aug 22, 2018.

1. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member+

So my mare is on a 5 week farrier schedule right now. She had a hoof wall resection done 6 weeks ago. Last week my farrier said the WLD had spread further to more of her hoof and we needed to get very aggressive with treatment. I did a clean trax soak on her foot five days ago per farriers instruction. We plan to follow up in three more weeks and do another clean trax soak. Just to make sure. Clean trax is only meant as a one time soak, but we want to do a follow up due to the severity of the WLD in her foot. In the meantime he said soak her foot in bleach for a few minutes every day.. Not happening. She is a very sensitive skinned mare and there is no way to effectively soak the whole affected area of her foot without her leg being in it as well. My trainer suggested I fill a spray bottle with bleach and spray the affected outside hoof wall with it a couple times a day instead. He didn't love the soaking in bleach idea either.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? What works best? I'm trying to keep calm but I'm very worried about loosing this mare's foot.. I'm frustrated because nothing I'm doing seems to be working.

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

GONE ROPING likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You don't need to soak it and not in full strength bleach, if you're doing that. Just get a squirt type plastic ketchup and mustard bottle set at Walmart. $2. Fill one with 10% bleach solution, the other with Betadine and every morning, clean all the dirt off, then squirt it with bleach solution. In the evening use the betadine on it.

GONE ROPING and ginster like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Is it possible to get good pictures of her feet? It’s possible that the disease is able to persist so stubbornly because there is extra length for it to party in.

I have had a bit of a struggle going on with some WLD in my horse, too. In her, it persists because of extra hoofwall. When I remove the extra wall and do frequent touch ups to keep it from getting long again, the infection starts to subside and, eventually, it all gets trimmed out.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If the horse is shod than use the copper coated nails, and hot shoe. I would try using a Novalsan solution to soak the feet as it doesn't dry and burn the skin like bleach or iodine will.

GONE ROPING likes this.
  6. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Second this. I've always only just used betadine but the bleach solution and betadine sounds good.

manesntails and GONE ROPING like this.
  7. GONE ROPING

I will get pics this afternoon if I remember. With her I don't believe it is because of to much toe. But I could easily be wrong.

When I got her she had a very deep crack that stretched up to the coronary band. The WLD got in the crack. I had my farrier shoe her to help give her foot more support and grow the crack out because we were concerned about it. When she came up lame about 2-3 months ago is when we found the WLD on x-ray. It was not visible from the bottom of her hoof. It is toward the top up near the coronary band and spread down and around.. That is why they did the hoof wall resection and cut the affected area out.

If that makes any sense. We keep her on a 4 to 5 week schedule so he can keep an eye on it and so there isn't too much excess toe.

8. GONE ROPING

That is actually what he does.

Kristal H likes this.
  9. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

I would not do a bleach soak... use oxine instead. :)

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

In that case, it’s sounding like it’s not currently excess growth causing/aggravating the the WLD. Darn. That’s rough!

I would wager that excess length probably caused/contributed to the original crack that allowed the WLD to move in, but if her feet are in better shape now and with the white line being so high up in the foot.... (I would still be interested in pictures, though. Because nerd.)

Poor horse! Poor you! I wish I had more suggestions. When I’ve treated Brandi’s with anything, I’ve just used the dry hoof powder, what it is called.... Trush something. I don’t remember. I’m not sure if it made any impact or not.

GONE ROPING likes this.