1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Bats in the horse barn... anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by tlwidener, Sep 22, 2012.

1. farmeress

farmeress Banned

Love bats...our whole family is batty though....lol....if some remember my Hollymare went to the rain forest and posted us a picture of the bat with a 7 foot wing span.....now that is alot of poop from that size of bat.

Bat houses.....great for bugs.....get a couple of bat houses...forget they are bats...and watch them fly....they are so versitile in the air with their manuvours....thjey do rival the barn swallow with this ability.

here is a "fish bat" from Peru that HM was studying a couple of years ago for the university

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
    2 people like this.
  2. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

I was just watching a show on tv about bats. If you don't want them in your barn, or attic, the simplest way to get them to move on is just put lights up. They want it dark in the daytime, so if it's light where they are, they won't stay.

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I want them to stay. It sounds like they are major bug hunters. Some species can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes per day.

1 person likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can make bat houses yourself, they are pretty simple. Two pieces of wood with a narrow opening between that the bats can climb up into, with a roof over it with a space for ventilation. You put little pegs in the back of it so their little feet can hold on and put the whole high up in a tree. Google "how to build a bat house". You have to have it safe from cats though. Cats will sit and wait for them to fly out in the evening. I have lots of bats around here because of the swamp all around. They're small brown bats and they fly around at sunset, all over the farm. Love bats~!!

5. Nevada_Silk

Nevada_Silk Senior Member

I have bats in my barn too. Had them in my chimney earlier this year.....boy that was a nice sound! A little creepy to watch a few of them fly out of my chimney though! Fixed that and some moved to my garage while others moved to my barn. I'm just terrified they will get stuck in my hair or something. Other than that, they don't bother me.

6. morgansrule08

morgansrule08 Senior Member

I wish that bats would come to our bat box! We had 2 a few years back, but haven't seen them since! All of our animals are vaccinated and the bats never really bothered anything so we just let them be :) Little Brown Bats are most common in Canada. If you have old, stone/cement barns, they really like to hide in the cracks and crevices. I personally don't really like the idea of ever having to touch a bat, but as long as they don't bother me, I won't bother them :)

7. morgansrule08

Bats actually will not try to nest in your hair lol. Contrary to popular beliefs (myths), bats don't suck blood (The Brown bats anyways), they are not blind, and they don't particularly like being very close to humans. So often, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. I know this is cliche, but they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Of course, that is assuming that you don't have some SEVERE bat-phobia of some sort.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nanolol

Nanolol Full Member

Thank you for posting that! :) You are awesome!

I think fear of bats is a learned, culturally transmitted behavior seeing as they have always been portrayed in a negative light & associated with the supernatural. Not sure if the fear is universal. But really, bats are just awesome creatures with a job to do & it's not to scare people!

9. morgansrule08

Yup, I blame the media for portraying them as evil creatures! Typically they are harmless and just fly around and eat lots of bugs. Kind of like big, harmless dragonflies :) Only if you are in South America would you have concern for Vampire Bats. They don't really bother people, but they bite livestock. Luckily, up in North America, our bats are much more docile ;) Haha, I had to do a study on them last year for science class so I pulled up a bunch of fact sheets about them :D

10. Shmee

Shmee Senior Member

Was this in the Old World tropics? Anything that big is almost certainly a fruit bat. (They eat fruit, and don't echolocate.)

The "evil" vampire bats show altruism on a regular basis, sharing food with group-mates that would otherwise die of starvation.

And a gratuitous cute bat pic:
    BCI-BATs-Calif-Leaf-nosed.gif