Bats in the horse barn... anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by tlwidener, Sep 22, 2012.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

What do I need to know?

It doesn't sound like they are a danger to horses or humans. I don't think they'll hurt the cats or dogs either.

I am thinking it might be cool to have them around, because I think maybe they are good little insect hunters. Maybe they'll help with my insane cricket and moth population.

Anybody else have bats?

3. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member+

I like bats and they definitely cut down on the bug population. You really don't want their guano all over your barn though. It might be a good idea to loo into putting up some bat houses. Also keep in mind that bats can carry rabies and make sure your herd is vaccinated.

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

Everybody is vaccinated... cats and dogs too.

Bat houses? I didn't know such a thing existed. We do have tons of birdhouses and bird feeders hung around the property. Would a bird house work?

So far I've only seen one bat, be he's been here all week. I'm sort of hoping for more of them, but not if they're going to cause problems. He's kind of cute. I thought he was a sparrow, but he flew like a drunken bird in big lazy loops. This morning he was squeaking while he was flying.

5. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

Bats are good to have around, as much as I can't stand the looks of them. They will leave you alone and keep to themselves especially since they only come out at night.

1 person likes this.
  6. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member+

Yup you can buy or build your ow bat house to provide the a safe and proper place to hag out and providing it may attract more bats to your yard. We have little brown bats around here and I think they are really cute. and it is fun to watch them come out at night and go after insects. One of the barns I boarded at had quite a few. Once in a while a young one would get lost going back to the nest in the morning and need a little help. I just picked them up with a towel and carefully put them in a high dark corner to hang out until dark when it could rejoin the colony.

http://www.nwf.org/Get-Outside/Outd...ildlife/Gardening-Tips/Build-a-Bat-House.aspx

4 people like this.
  7. dressagelvr

dressagelvr Senior Member

You are all much braver than I am! I am scared to death of bats! Last year while visiting my mom one flew near me and I literally went into panic mode. Without thinking I quickly grabbed my 71 year old mother by the shoulders and threw her in front of me while I ducked behind her. My family had never seen me like that and after the shock of my over-reaction, they all had a good laugh :D. I think I'm batphobic!

1 person likes this.
  8. ShowJumper23

ShowJumper23 Senior Member+

If you have a Saint Bernard, make sure he stays away from them!

:p

4 people like this.
  9. 181Tgood

181Tgood Senior Member+

Great for keeping mosquitoes away. We had 2-3 that lived in the hay loft of our second barn. Wasn't enough to worry about guano, but they sure do eat a lot of bugs!

10. Bumper

Bumper Senior Member+

Yeah we have bats, it's no big deal. I hate them, even though i recognize they are vital as insect eaters. I just find bats to be very creepy.

As an FYI: you know those sticky traps for flies? They have some big plastic ones with multiple sides, maybe 8" high? DON'T USE THEM. We caught two bats on one and they were still alive. I made my husband kill the bats as i'm flat *** TERRIFIED of them. I don't care if flies and moths die a slow death on the sticky but i don't like doing that to bats (or mice).