Barrel Saddles.. best of the best, what brand is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by VivaLaEquine, Nov 11, 2014.

1. VivaLaEquine

VivaLaEquine Full Member

I'm looking into getting a new barrel saddle. I currently own a Reinsman Molly Powell barrel saddle and I LOVE it. it is a gorgeous saddle. although I am beginning to feel that it's a tad too big for me(15") thinking a 14" would be better maybe 14.5" depending on the brand or how I fit, I just want to feel a little more secure.
    Im thinking of possibly getting something custom made too.
    Money is not an issue.
    I love the looks of triple creeks, opinions?
    I want something with a nice deep seat, and thats comfortable.
    let me know what you guys like, specs and all!
    thanks

2. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Ooooo, I LOVE threads like this!

I just got a new custom built Teskey's barrel saddle. It's lovely and is such a pleasure to ride in. It was between Teskey's and Triple Creek and I went with the Teskey's based on price and the fact that I've already owned one and know they fit and know I like them. This is mine:
    1376640_10204495678528643_5737529299583594515_n.jpg

Given the opportunity, I'd love to get a Triple Creek one day. I really like their PS2 model:
    100_4359_op_740x885.jpg

tp.gif
    My dream saddle would be either a Martin Crown C or a Double J. But both of those are a little too far out of my price range.

ETA: I've also owned Circle Y, Billy Cook, American, and Tex Tan barrel saddles. I know a lot of people rave about Billy Cook, but honestly, I'd never buy another one. Too much inconsistency between saddles. Some are great, some are carp. The company itself has had too many problems over the years and I know they've had times where they really skimp on materials. I think most of their saddles are great, but I really disliked the one I had. Rode in it once and put it back up for sale. That's just my personal preference.
    The Tex Tan I have is great. Very solid, sturdy saddle. It's actually 17 years old and you'd never know it. I'm a fan of Tex Tans.
    The Circle Y was a vintage one; very sturdy, old time quality. Great saddle, but not designed for modern barrel racing. I don't have any experience with the new ones, but I hear quality has decreased. Another brand that I wouldn't buy new.
    The American was your typical mid/low quality saddle. It served me well in my early 4H years. Not something I'd recommend to anyone who wants to be competitive.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

My suggestion would be to go to one of the nicer more expensive tack shop and sit in tons of saddles to see what you like. But myself I love anything Billy cook, but I grew up where that is the most common saddle brand.

4. ridemandslidem

ridemandslidem Senior Member+

5. VivaLaEquine

VivaLaEquine Full Member

thanks guys! I'm going to Equine affaire tomorrow so I will be sure to sit in everyone i can!

6. BrokenSorrowLuv

BrokenSorrowLuv Senior Member

Another brand to check out is Corriente. I got one about a month ago and love it. They're priced low, but they have real wooden trees and are great quality. Only thing is they only make 7 inch gullets so you need a wide horse to fit them. https://corrientesaddleco.com/BARRELS.php

Here is the one I got for Jinxx.
    IMG_4787.jpg

1 person likes this.
  7. chevyrebel2000

chevyrebel2000 Registered

Triple Creek is great! They sit you in well and fit every horse I put it on. I love them. Billy Cook, Corriente are also great saddles too

8. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Plug for Rocking R here. This is the saddle I used to ride, I recently sold it to get another of the same made, just in a different color and fitted to the horse I have now.
    [​IMG]
    I trail ride this saddle (3 hours+) and it's more comfortable than my reiner. Though some people don't like the swells made to look like a bear-trap saddle, it's pretty easy to find one floating around with a modern style front. There's probably more of them actually.

2 people like this.
  9. ILuvMyAppyQH

ILuvMyAppyQH Senior Member

I love my Triple Creek. I have the SS3 which they don't have anymore I guess, it has a wavy skirt. It's a great ride and it fits all of my horses really well.

10. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Sit in a Circle Y Martha Josey Ultimate Cash! Talk about secure! The cantle is 5 inches and the swell is a little more tall and wide. Also comes in a 14.5 seat and regular or wide tree. This saddle is on my daughter's Christmas wish list. She also rides one of her geldings in an older Triple Creek. It was the only saddle that gave him enough shoulder room. He has really wide withers.