Barrel racers: A question.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by endurgirl, May 15, 2018.

?

Which barrel do you round first?

1. Right

25.0%
  2. Left

25.0%
  3. Whichever one my horse goes toward first, LOL

50.0%
  1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

So after going to a few rodeos this year, I've noted most racers start with the right barrel. Why? And which do you start with?

I'm not changing disciplines, but I've played around with barrels with my cousin when we were young, and with DD some since she has been to so many rodeos this year. When I go around them, it only feels correct to go to the left first. Does it have to do with your rein hand? Or what sided your horse is?

2. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

I choose my first barrel to be the direction my horse is stiffer in. 1, so that I have two barrels in the easier direction for my horse, and 2, the first barrel lends itself better to a stiffer turn. The horse needs to flatten out and leave on the backside, so it doesn't necessarily hurt your pattern if your horse isn't as bendy to that direction. Most horses are left sided so most people are taking a right first barrel. My finished horse runs right but my young horse is looking like she will run left so I will have to adjust to that if I end up running her.

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Whichever direction your horse is weaker in you want as your first barrel IMO. Then you can turn the other two in the strong direction. Coal is stronger to the left... though he runs a mean flag pattern going to the right. He loves flags!

Also you switch your rein hand while running barrels. You want your hand on the inside. So typically, start with two hands, then right hand goes to the rein on the inside (when running right first) left hand on horn. Sit. Coming out you'll get up off the saddle like a two point position and use two hands until the second and sit, left hand on the inside rein, right hand on the horn. Then get up to the third. Then sit, left hand on the inside rein, right hand on the horn. Then get up and hurry home.

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

LOL, I knew you changed hands, I'm a left hand rein holder, so didn't know if that had anything to do with *my* preference to the left first, but I can hold reins with either well. ( Right hand when endurance riding, left when cutting :crazy::LOL:) Hmmm, that would take some figuring out which way to go first. :rofl:

Alyssa Hughes and Arem like this.
  5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Exactly what the other 2 said ... My colt is stiffer to the left. Someday I bet he'll be a lefty , too lol

6. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

What everyone else said.

Arem likes this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Ditto everyone else.

Brandi and I are both lefties so we go right barrel first. I handle the reins like tlweidner said.

Hopefully the next one is a leftie, too, or it’s going to be a strange adjustment. :rofl: