Barn Owner taking a chunk of my lease money??

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by SkyeTiger, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Yep. I would never agree to that. That's ridiculous.

SkyeTiger and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Nahh, that's not cool. :(

I'd go talk to them and get it straightened out. There's not going to be any extra use etc, it isn't right. Just tell them and see how it goes.

Good luck, you can probably get it straightened out. ;)

SkyeTiger likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep.

4. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

I’m going to politely bring it up and talk with barn owner tomorrow (Friday). Cross your fingers for me! I am not a “rock the boat” type of person. :-/

5. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I think the barn owner is just trying to make a quick buck. I used to board at a barn that told my leaser she couldn't ride my horse since *she* didn't pay board, even though she was riding MY horse that I paid board on. She just didn't want someone else using the facilities unless she was getting a cut.

So I moved all of my horses out to a place that didn't mind who rode my horses, as long as they signed a liability waiver and I let them know when I had a leaser for my horse. That way, they stayed in the loop, put a name to the face and knew exactly which horse the person was supposed to be on if there were questions. Seemed fair enough to me.

kodemiester and SkyeTiger like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't think there is anything to stop them. They can change or add to the fees they charge any time.

7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

No, no they can't. That's what the contract is there for.

8. paval

paval Senior Member

When you politely broach the subject with the BO, start off first thing by mentioning all your "plus points".
    1. You have been a drama free boarder.
    2. You pay your board in full and on time.
    3. Your horse has not been destructive or hard to handle.
    4. You have really enjoyed your time there this past year and would like to continue on (don't throw out the I may have to move then thing until you see how the conversation goes).

Then explain why you want/need to enter into a lease agreement on your horse.... highlight that it is due to temporary financial needs (or whatever the case may be).

Then just state that the "membership fee" is going to be a problem for you and let the ball sit there a minutes and see what B/O replies. Take it from there.

If you really want to avoid having to look for the new barn and the BO is steadfast in wanting a membership fee, try making a counter offer... maybe you can get her down to a more nominal fee.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

That is completely untrue. The boarding stable can add any charges at any time, regardless of what charges the contract lists. They usually have very specific language that states that but even without that they can charge you for things whenever they feel like it. All you can do is leave. They can raise prices, add charges, create new rules, basically anything they want.

Boarding barns avoid stuff like that because they don't want to be empty, not because it is against the law.

From equinelegalsolutions.com:

There's no rent control in horse boarding. Unless a boarding contract says otherwise, a boarding stable can raise its rates as much as it wants, as often as it wants, with as little advance warning as it wants. Much like terminating a boarding contract, nothing else is relevant, including:

• How long the boarding rates have been the same
    • How recent the last rate increases were
    • Whether the boarder is current on their board payments
    • Whether the boarder can afford the increase
    • Whether the boarding stable's amenities and level of care justify the increase
    • The reasons (if any) that the boarding stable gives for the increase
    Often, boarders want to know if there's anything they can do if they don't like a board increase. Essentially, there are two choices: Pay or leave. And if the boarder chooses to leave, they must provide the boarding stable with the notice specified in the boarding contract (if any).

10. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with SLC..."prices are subject to change" is the de facto nature of the beast. Pavel's advise is sound around how to talk about the situation and hopefully come to an agreement.

manesntails likes this.