Barn Owner taking a chunk of my lease money??

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by SkyeTiger, Aug 8, 2018.

1. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong place. You can move it!

Alrighty, so I decided to lease Lindy out because I can't ride her 5-6 days a week like I used too and mostly just need help with board to be honest. I found the perfect girl! She's a sweet heart, Lindy really seemed to like her, and it just kind of fell into my lap. God answered some prayers. I was going to do half board for half lease (2-3 days ride time) and full board for full lease (5ish days a week). I think that's pretty fair and across the board. I have been talking to my barn owner about doing this off and on for a couple months now. She never really said anything... now that I have found a leaser she is asking for $75/month of it for a "barn membership" from the leaser. Now, I could have added that to what I was asking... but once the girl told me what she could afford that would have been too much for her. So I had to take a cut of what I'm making to pay the barn owner for the barn membership for my leaser. UGH. Does that even make sense? She said it's because she's using electric and amentities and everything. I get it... and they are the nicest people and I don't want to be hard to deal with or make a stink. BUT, if I'm already paying board on Lindy and paying to use all of these things... what does it matter whether it's me there riding Lindy or the girl leasing her? Either way it should be covered and not charge extra. I don't know.. at first I was like oh okay whatever that's fine. Well, now... the more I think about it, the more I am irritated. What are ya'lls thoughts?

Like I said.. they are not people that nickel and dime me. They are very fair, very nice, and take great care of her. I don't want to make a stink but it just isn't sitting right. I feel like it's something I can't really back out of. Like... what if I just didn't give her the money? What recourse would she have to demand it, ya know? Ahhhh I don't know! :( HELP haha

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Doesn't sound fair to me... the only thing I would think would be logical would be a one time membership fee, maybe yearly? It would offset the liability insurance. As long as the BO gets the agreed upon amount for board, what does it matter?

paval and SkyeTiger like this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

That's a hard one. I have heard of BO's charging trainers a fee but not part boarders. But as they say their barn their rules.

I would feel the same as you and possibly look for another barn.

SkyeTiger likes this.
  4. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

That wouldn't sit well with me either. I think if you already agreed on it though, even unofficially, it would be dishonest to just not pay her. That's just me though. I could see maybe a yearly "membership fee" for the leasee, but not monthly. I'd tell her the leasee can't afford to do the lease if that's the stipulation and/or look into changing barns if you are dead set on leasing. I don't know what you are paying in board every month, but it seems to kind of defeat part of the purpose of the lease if you still have to pay the majority of the board. That's just me though.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Is that in your boarding contract, or posted anywhere? Were you informed of that when you moved in?

It sounds like 'Pop Up Rules' - basically, whenever you do something they tell you there's a charge for that.

ginster likes this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Not right, not in any way shape or form.

You board your horse & have full use of the facilities. It doesn’t matter if you’re riding it or someone else - the barns cost is the same.

7. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

It is not in my boarding contract and was never ever brought up when I moved there... and Lindy has been there a year already. Ugh... now I don’t know what to do.

8. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I would politely discuss it with them and tell them no way its happening, its not in the contract and there were no "clauses" on leasing mentioned when you moved the horse in. I know good boarding is hard to find, so its a fine balance on rocking the boat over something like this, but that is a good chunk of change to be throwing out every month as a "membership" fee. Its a straight up money grab any way you look at it. Not cool. Not cool at all in my book.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Logic tells you this is the barn owner trying to scam you. If you were there insteadof the leasee, the costs to them are the same. The leasee just replaces your presence. There is no extra electric use, water use, wear and tear use.

SkyeTiger and tlwidener like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Yeah, but most barns want to profit somehow.

I'm going to guess that if you don't pay you will be told you can't lease horse.....I suggest you look for a new boarding stable.