Barn construction

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by HotseatHuntSeat, Sep 17, 2018.

1. HotseatHuntSeat

HotseatHuntSeat Registered

Has anyone here had their own barn constructed? Either wood or metal fabrication? What size and would you mind sharing the cost? I have contacted Morton and MD barns and despite my original assumption I have been quoted near $57,000 for a six stall barn with tack and wash stall. 36 by 36. I prefer metal but $57k seems fairly high. Who built your barn and what was the average cost? Pictures get cookies!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Cost of barn construction is going to vary dependent upon geographical location, permits, site prep, utilities, type of building, concrete work etc.
    I would suggest that you get 3-5 quotes form different builders in your area for what you want to have built.
    I built my current barn more than 20 years ago, so what I paid originally would not reflect todays cost.
    I can tell you some things that I have found important in building a barn, that you may or may not have thought of:
    • Drainage is easiest to be put in before construction and one of things that will make your barn enjoyable, this is a cost that is often over looked when building a barn.
    • 50’ long Runs with drainage attached to stalls with exterior Dutch doors makes life much better for your horses, land and you….plus un many areas you are required to have a “sacrifice area” where horse are kept during the wet months.
    • Lighting over stalls and in aisle ways should be bright and safe, I personally believe that lack of light can cause Metabolic Disorder.
    • Access for Hay trucks, gravel trucks, etc.
    • Storage for enough Hay to meet delivery quota and Shavings or pellets.
    • Compost area that can be accessed easily for stall cleaning and for removal or spreading.
    • Tractor Parking

Alsosusieq2 and ibsammy like this.
  3. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Well, we just last year built our indoor arena - 140x60 (aluminum) with 16ft trusses, a breezeway from the barn to the arena, LED lights and a water pump in the arena (which we don't even use - ugh) and the final cost of that was 84k so I'm not thinking that 57k for a barn is all that high at all.

One of the most expensive parts of the project is the earthwork done before building ever takes place.

billz and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Well.... go to Menards.com and use their tool to estimate materials. I think materials will run 18-34,000, depending on options like overhangs, openings, what gauge metal, skylights, insulation... you can add or subtract all that in the Menard's tool.

And get ready to pay through the nose for stalls, unless you DIY them. The cheapest I could find was about $3000 per stall. I did price Noble panels, and they came in under $1000, but freight almost doubled that price. I ended up building my own stalls from 2x12 set on 4x4, and used 4' gates for the "front." I didn't add any grating; so my stall walls are approx. 48" tall and open at the top. You could easily add 2x4 or whatever if you wanted them more closed off.

You can do things like insulation later. You can add more stalls as you go... that's my plan. Right now I have 4. I'd like to have 6. Mats are expensive too.

Overhead doors cost more than sliding doors but are much easier to use and take up less space. Windows cost more. Gutters add cost. Wainscoting adds cost. Concrete footers add cost (as opposed to pylons.) Concrete is usually estimated to cost at least 1/3 as much as the building... so if the building is $30k (materials) add $10k for concrete.

You can get a lot into electrical and water too. I like an outlet over each stall and a light in each stall and then additional lights over the center.

You can save a LOT of money if you're a DIY type.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

I paid about $1200 for 3 sets of stall bars(2 horse stalls, 12x12, 1 pony stall 8X12) 12 years ago, they were done by an Amish welder and I wasn't happy with them, I wanted the bars closer together. Both horse stalls were on either side of the tack room so two horse stall walls were tack room walls.

I bought red oak for the stalls, it cost $600 because it was green. It was supposed to be kiln dried, and somehow got the green lumber. It cured for a year. The Amish builders built the 3 stalls and doors, got the hardware, sliding door tracks, etc. The hardware I think was about $400 total.

I believe the indoor arena was about $104,000(70ft by 180 foot). But that was an Amish crew, wood siding, wood sliding doors, and I worked on the crew, so I don't think you could do that for $104,000 now, I think it would be more than double that now. Then the windows were 8 sliding windows, about $50 each, the indoor arena footing was $2500 and I didn't like it - BUT...a chemical company sent me the wrong chemical instead of a dust-down type chemical, so replaced the footing for free, and I got much better footing for nothing.

I think I paid about $1500 for the concrete, and about $500 for the limestone screening for the stall floors. Another $1200, I think, for thick rubber mats for stalls and aisle and wash rack. I think the electric and lighting for the whole indoor arena was $15,000.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

That's what a simple 2-3 car garage costs in many places...and a barn has "more stuff" involved. I doubt that the cost is out of line, but you do need to ascertain if it includes all the permitting, site preparation and all the legal stuff as well as the "building" part.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

What does that include? That doesn't sound like much at all.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I got a 40x72' pole barn built with 11' headers for cheap. Now it'd probably be around 20,000. After you get that in and have your posts set 12'on center, you can build individual stalls as you go. You could easily six stalls, Three on each side, a tack room a wash stall and a feed room plus a 12' wide center aisle.

Alsosusieq2 and tlwidener like this.
  9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I think this is good base price :) This would be something without insulation, windows, stall openings (for attached pens) no overhangs, no ventilation, no sky lights, no electric, no concrete.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. HotseatHuntSeat

HotseatHuntSeat Registered

Thanks all, we ended up quoted $18K for a 40x60 with concrete aisle so we are working with that. Way better than $57K! And we found an awesome open air style stall kit for $1000 each including transport. So with hubs doing the electric and plumbing we are all in at about 25K. Half the price :)