1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Barn Chat. Freezing hoses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Luvs Phin, Sep 30, 2009.

1. farmeress

farmeress Banned

2. spiritpony

spiritpony Full Member

I carried buckets and buckets of water down a steep frozen hill, slipping and slopping, for more years than I wish to admit. Finally it dawned upon my very slow brain to just unhook the hose which is always drained and then rolled up on a portable hose reel and take it into the house when it is freezing outside. We nailed two big nails in the wall of the mud porch and hang the hose reel on the wall out of the way when not in use. SO-O-O much easier ( and drier ) than the old way. My hose is 135' long, so it isn't light, but doable.

3. KristinJ

KristinJ Senior Member+

Thats a good idea! Lots of these ideas are good but when dealing with lots of feet of hoses some is not feasible. I have 225' of hose =/ And it's the durable heavy construction type ... I am NOT looking foward to this winter.

4. BootsOn

BootsOn Senior Member

At the farm we use buckets in the winter... Or maybe now we'll turn the heater on lol.

For our sheep we used to just blow in the hose... not fun but it worked! haha

5. Luvs Phin

Luvs Phin Full Member

All of our buckets are heated, but still need to be refilled ;)
    I'm sure now we'll just end up bringing ours in. although not fun, It'll work.

6. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

All mine run under ground-under the frost freeze line. My line runs from my house to my barn and we just put under a new one running from the house to the pasture.
    The hosese are insulated with insulation boards. Havent had them freeze even with 30 below 0 weather.

7. Berlunz

Berlunz Senior Member

Sometimes I just love living in Az....Our water tanks might freeze like ten times total in a winter. Most times its so thin that just poking it makes the whole thing shatter. My dog doesnt know what to do with the ice chunks so he goes and buries them (Icicile farm!). The hoses sometimes freeze too but most of the time just turning the water on full blast after bending the hose in a few spots to break it up fixes everything. The waterers might freeze (dont know) but nothing stays frozen long here and all the horses are on big tanks so even if it freezes it will melt before noon and refill the water on its own, in the mean time with their huge tanks the horses have plenty of reserves.

8. dpcinderella

dpcinderella Senior Member+

Ok, here is a question and a possible suggestion. Our water pipes are wrapped with heat tape. Isn't there a way that you could wrap a hose with heat tape and either bury it a little or something? Would this work with a rubber hose? Like I said this is a thought, I just wanted to throw it out there, I really don't know how one could make it work.

9. Luvs Phin

Luvs Phin Full Member

I have read very little on heat tape also, but don't have a clue really. I would like to know/be enlightened if anyone uses it/if it works. :)

10. Trailpal

Trailpal Registered

It takes about 300 feet of hose to get to our tanks. For the winter I give the horses big tanks and use a "sinking" heater and my husband carries out (in a wheel barrow, sled or wagon) several 6 gallon jugs of water a day. The jugs can be gotten at wallyworld or an automotive place. We do get in the teens and twenties most of the winter (and always a week or two below zero). We do get a lot of afternoon sun, so I arrange the hose to be in the sun so that it will drain - if the hose is open, we will use it in the afternoons, otherwise we use the jug system. Generally about once a week I can drain and scrub the junk out of the tanks and refill - I try for a sunny afternoon so we can use the hose.

I have had manure freeze and really make life difficult when I tried burying the hose with it, we are probably too cold and dry for that to work.