Barn Chat. Freezing hoses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Luvs Phin, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Luvs Phin

Luvs Phin Full Member

Harsh Minnesota winters take a toll on daily chores.:p
    For those of you who live in a colder winter climate, how do you keep your hoses from freezing?
    We use 100ft hose (to be able to reach the far pens that dont have automatic waters). The buckets and tanks are heated of course.

How have you gotten creative keeping your hoses from freezing?
    I looked into heated hoses as well, and that runs $1000 for 100ft hose lol. Not gona happen!

:D

2. KristinJ

KristinJ Senior Member+

I feel ur pain! I have about 300ft hose going from my house to the barn. I seperate the 3 hoses, and drain each one. Unfortunately sometimes this STILL doesn't work as it still froze on me a few times last year ---- don't know how. Anyways this year (if I still don't get plumbing out to the barn) I will drain them on colder days and on really cold days, drain them, coil them up and put them in the garage! lol =P

One week, it sleeted and snowed so bad my hoses were stuck under ice and snow for about 2 weeks! I had to go and buy ALL new hoses =( which totally sucked and was very expensive lol!!

3. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

Heated automatic waterers :D Love them! LOL!

My parents still use a hose though. They keep their hoses in the house and haul them out to the barn every morning, and back into the house when they are done.

4. jwhisperj

jwhisperj Senior Member

I used to have to haul buckets of water from the house to the water tanks... I have auto waterers now! I never found a way to keep the hoses from freezing except to bring them in the house and put them in the tub,(which made a huge mess) thats why I used buckets! It really sucked having to haul water at 4:30 am... I hope you can find something that works!!

5. rageandglory

rageandglory Senior Member+

i have an air compresser hooked up to my outside H/C tap. works 95% of the time.

6. roxyroller91

roxyroller91 Senior Member+

We used to have to haul buckets of hot water (one of the heaters broke) out to the far pastures and dump it in, it would thaw the ice slightly, then we would take a shovel/broom handle and smash the ice. I often forgot the broom and would use my foot, but the ice would be thawed more than I expected and my leg would go right through, frozen water up to my thigh! And that was the beginning of the day.

For the hose we didn't have to worry, it was kept in the heated barn.

7. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

we use a air compressor and blow the water out of ours :)

had frozen hoses ONCE last year and that was when it froze and wasn't suppose too

8. bnwalker2

bnwalker2 Senior Member+

I just drain ours. It can be a hassle but it works!

9. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

I'm in NW Wisconsin, right on the MN border, so I know exactly what you are talking about. :)
    Hoses are drained after each use, rolled up and stored in the barn. Then they are brought into the house to warm up/thaw out the night before having to do waters.

10. Trace

Trace Senior Member+

We keep our hoses rolled up in the well house where the furnace is under the house - keeps them nice and flexible too.