Banamine as a preventative? You got any stories like this?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by slc, May 7, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

A gal just told me she leaves her horses out for 24 hours on new pasture right to start with, and 'gives Banamine to prevent colic or laminitis and has never had a problem'.

I'm like....WHAT?

Here I am meticulously clocking every minute the horses graze and gradually increasing their pasture time, being extremely cautious this spring as we have had such incredible rains and have a flush of growth like I've never even seen before.

Banamine cannot prevent laminitis or colic(well I have seen it clear up a mild spasm or gas, but not anything more prominent)! It's not for making up for bad management practices.

2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I give Bute around vaccinations to prevent an inflammatory response in my IR, previously foundered mare. I guess it would be the same idea, used to prevent an inflammatory response from sugar overload and poor management. I think it might be a reasonable response to give Bute or Banamine if you notice your horse acting off after bringing them in (and icing, etc), because reducing inflammation quickly may be enough to ward off a downward spiral of laminitis... but I agree it is stupid silly to use NSAIDs in am attempt to reverse your laziness and poor equine management skills :rolleyez:

BroadaxJuniorMint and slc like this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It just masks the pain. Stupid idea for lazy people.

4. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

No, just...no.
    That is crazy.
    I don't understand why people are looking to shortcut pasture acclimation. It isn't difficult at all to do it the right way.

slc likes this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Colic is not a banamine deficiency

6. slc

slc Senior Member

That's hysterical!

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, that's “Quote of the Day“~!!!

GONE ROPING likes this.
  8. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Whelp ------ how dumb I am to have spent all that wish list "Alaskan Cruise" money getting my hay tested, feeding a specialty vit/min supplement, and curtailing grazing hours which has resulted in spending more time and money on stall shavings & hay.

All I would have had to do was throw the horse out on pasture and give him a dose of Banamine every day:no:

I wish that lazy nut case well ------- noh ------ I wish her poor horse well:help:

9. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

There's a fair share of dummies out there. I had someone give me grief for dry lotting my mare for the past two weeks.

"Just put her out on pasture and you won't have to feed hay!"

Yeah, because I'll have a very sick pony instead! She gets 10-15 minutes more grazing time each day. Eventually she'll be out all day, but not until the spring grass is gone!

manesntails likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Many places in the US have had very heavy rains for several months now(plus we got a lot of snow 'dumped' toward the end of the snow season). The grass has been growing like mad. It's fairly extreme here most years, but never has been this bad. Most people I know have noted the issue and are being extremely cautious. All my horses are on dirt paddocks. One of them got a belly ache just reaching through the fence eating grass. Even after we mowed it all around the paddocks. In years like this they are usually out for 15 minutes as soon as the pasture is dry enough, and then gradually increase over a month or more, to half a day. This year there was no drying out!

Part of our problem is we've had kind of a clover explosion. I'm told the only way to get rid of it is to spray it with some very powerful herbicide and reseed, which would mean being without the pasture for at least six months, and $$$$$.