Balanced Hooves

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BluemoonOKy, Oct 10, 2016.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Since folks around are always interested in what a properly balanced hoof looks like, I thought we could share pictures. Here is a solar view of Blue's left front. Just got trimmed. See how the frog is? Been barefoot her whole life.
    1009161005a_HDR.jpg

2. froglander

froglander Senior Member

I need to trim my pony's feet!

3. DelP

DelP Senior Member

I love this idea! I was talking with someone the other day and tried to find good side views to show them what a good trim looked like and I couldn't! The elpo site has a few good solar views, but no side views that aren't hand drawn pictures.

I firmly believe if people can see what a good trim looks like it will make it so much easier to realize when they aren't getting one.

mygirl1197 and BluemoonOKy like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Pretty foot!

Brandi's... I'm nit picky, too, but I still feel like there is room for improvement.
    Left front. There is still some toe flare and I feel like the toe is a little long still. But I don't feel there is enough sole depth to take them farther currently. This is balanced as-is. She's finally standing square again. This photo shows off the difference in pasturn angle between this leg and her club foot leg.
    IMG_6896.JPG

Uploaded is being sticky. Pretty sure it's my signal. I'll post the RF (club foot) later.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    BluemoonOKy likes this.
  5. RhinestoneZAF

RhinestoneZAF Full Member

What a pretty hoof :)

I'm envious. Finding a good farrier is harder than finding a good boyfriend!

Sarai, MzCarol and BluemoonOKy like this.
  6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

What happens if you do a rocker toe? Not too steep, but start at the bottom at a 45 degree angle and bevel that toe, then top dress at about a 45.
    @RhinestoneZAF I found a good Farrier who will listen to me. I taught her about elpo protocol, having a working knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics as a yoga instructor myself, and she is teaching me the skills of using the rasp/ nippers and knife. I am now to the point I am comfortable keeping them cleaned up in between our 8 week cycle. I rehabbed my gelding who had a bone chip in his coffin bone removed earlier this spring, thread on here somewhere...completely barefoot, never had a hospital plate on. I soaked and wrapped it daily and every other day for like 3 months. Healed perfectly. I will say we are not quite as extreme as elpo. I leave them just a titch longer, but they stay more sound that way.
    @DelP I need to get more pics. Will try to get some more examples.

RhinestoneZAF and DelP like this.
  7. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

These are all older I have to get new ones eventually. Self trimmed side views and a pre trim solar taken at 6wks and in between my surgeries back 2013-14 - I was having issues getting bar out then (can be seen) but working in between wrist surgeries I can't say they got terrible

Yeah I need new photos

Left front:
    IMG_2273.JPG

Right front:
    IMG_2275.JPG

Right hind I do think - I know it's a hind (pre trim at 6 weeks)
    IMG_2276.JPG

Arem likes this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

There is a bit of a rocker there to bring her breakover back where it belongs. That's all I dare do at the moment. From the bottom, it really doesn't look bad. Then you look at it from the top and start grumbling about that darn toe. Doesn't look quite so bad as the picture. I keep a close watch on it. Since she's standing square and comfortable in front right now, I'm hesitant to fiddle. Horse is happy, horse is happy. I've had a heck of a time getting her square and comfortable in front recently. Always one foot well back. Super antsy when I pick one up, but otherwise sound. Now she's square and patient.

She has really difficult feet. Even the ELPO guy I used to use had trouble. It's hard to tell what can be taken down more and what can't. her chalky sole compacts rock hard stupid fast. He was too conservative and her bars ran away again. They went super tall and started migrating halfway across her foot. My bad for not paying closer attention. I figured he had it covered. (Lesson learned. Closely watch even the best)

I've spend all spring and summer taking her bars down in chunks. We're almost almost there now, they're starting to straighten. Her sole is starting to get a little bit of concavity. Maybe her toe will be able to come down more eventually. Or maybe she just naturally has a longer toe on that foot. Time will tell!

I keep a pretty close watch on them. Evaluate at least weekly and touch things up as necessary.

9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yay for more internet signal! Lol

Brandi is an excellent one to use to refute accusations that ELPO mapping forces hooves to be cookie-cutter. In spite of the fact that I map both front feet exactly the same, they are very clearly very different. Her right front is a true club. Her entire leg from shoulder to hoof is different on her right side than her left.

There is still some distortion, but even without that and perfectly balanced, it will never look ideal.

There is still toe flaring (dressing flares is the bane of my exsistence. Though I am getting better at it.) you can see that the flare is growing out. Apparently I have not been as agressive with her toe quarters as I could be as evidenced by the uneven hairline. I'd like to take her toe down a little more, but I'm not sure it's possible at the moment. It's is rockered more than you can see in this picture. Again, you can see difference in pastern angles on both legs. Her right fletlock is also smaller in diameter slightly.
    IMG_6898.JPG

Here is her left again for compairison:
    IMG_6896.JPG

It's important to remember that not all balanced hooves will look exactly the same, but they all share the same qualities and a general lack of obvious distortion. Alas, total perfection doesn't exsist anywhere. The average healthy, balanced foot will come pretty darn close, however.

Might see about getting some solar shots today. If I do, I may map them.

Here is what her feet looked like at their worst, pre-ELPO days with a traditional farrier who did pretty much nothing with her bars and sole. Look how TALL they were! I swear, she's lost an 1-1 1/2 of overal hight since. (She used to measure around 57 1/2" tall now she's about 56")

Right front:

Left front:

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Bahahaha. So this is why I never post Brandi's feet but also precisely why I should.

I take her feet as far as it looks like they can go. Get them balanced in spite of whatever distortions still exist. She stands and walks better. Her feet go "ahhhh, better!" And then spit another layer. Just when I think they won't.

So here is Brandi's most recent trim 2.0. Much better toe. I've marked where her bars are currently and where they should ultimately end up.
    Left first then right.
    IMG_6909.JPG IMG_6911.JPG IMG_6912.JPG IMG_6914.JPG

Pardon my crooked lines. I couldn't draw a straight line to save my life. You get the gist.

ofauxaffliction and froglander like this.