Bahia grass hay

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rustye, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Rustye

Rustye Registered

Has anyone used this type of hay for their horses? If so, what do you think about it? How well did your horses adapt to it. We are looking at options since hay in round or square bales is getting very expensive and hard to come by here in Texas. Any advice will be helpful!

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

go To the Texas A&M equine extension website. There are some really informative articles on different hay types.

3. MiakodaAPBT

MiakodaAPBT Senior Member+

My pasture is mostly Bahia as are all my friend's pastures (southeast Louisiana). My horses and all my friends' horses do great on it.

There is a lot of Bahia hay around here, but I like to give my horses a taste of something different so they get an Alicia/Bermuda mix which they think is M&Ms and Hershey bars. lol

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

Bahia, IMHO is cow hay. Coastal Bermuda, Alicia or just Coastal better for horses.

1 person likes this.
  5. MiakodaAPBT

Interesting. Pretty much everyone I know has Bahia for their pasture. Most do mix in some Bermuda or Timothy, but Bahia is one of the very few grasses that can withstand our climate down here.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

Maybe you're wetter than I am in N. Fl. Here, horse people do buy Bahia for horses but it's the bottom of the line and cheapest horse hay you can get, if you can get it baled and stored for horses. Coastal, Alicia, and Coastal/Bermuda you can get baled for horses and stored in a barn so it re ttains it's nutritional value. The Bahia is baled in the field and left there.

7. MiakodaAPBT

You may very well be correct as my only experience with Bahia is with the actual grass. I get Alicia/Bermuda hay to give them something different (and to save my little 2.1 acre pasture! lol )

8. Rustye

Rustye Registered

Thanks to everyone for their responses! Texas A & M had some really helpful advice - can't believe I had forgotten the info they have available. The last batch of round bales we bought was supposed to be hay and it turned out to be straw. This same supplier has bahia bales but I have no idea how it is or has been stored and we are hesitant to use it and use the supplier unless we have no choice.

9. Eugene Cassels

Eugene Cassels Senior Member+

My pastures are a mixture of bahia and costal bermuda my horses will eat the costal down to thr roots before they touch the bahia so i feed round costal when the pastures run out of grass.

10. bugsys22575

bugsys22575 Senior Member+

Bahia does lose it's color quickly so don't be surprised if the makes look brown. This color change should not denote the quality of the hay, just makes people think it's not as good as a pretty green bale.

1 person likes this.