Bahia and Centipede Grass

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by juliesowner, Jun 2, 2005.

1. juliesowner

juliesowner Senior Member+

We are looking at a pasture for our horse that has bahia grass(I think).
    Is this kind of grass good for horses?
    I know it is all right but is it good quality or should we look at planting something else?

Does anyone have any pics of bahia grass so I can be sure that is what it is?

Also I heard that centipede grass is bad for horses?
    Why is this?

2. cowgurl1811

cowgurl1811 Senior Member+

My mom just layed Centipede sod at our house and I seriously JUST asked her if it was ok for horses. lol. Why is it bad, if it is???

3. juliesowner

I really don't know. I just heard it and it may not be true. :confused:

Also how should I go about getting a soil analysis? There is a place here that does it but do I just dig up a little dirt?

4. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member

Bahia is a good grass for pastures. The best part about bahia is that it can be planted by seed rather than needing to be sprigged. It provides good a forage. I do not have any but know several people who do. They have nice pastures and are well pleased.

Centipede.... I will not say it is bad for horses. Maybe in a pasture where it was all they had. Not because of the grass, but the type. Centipede is mostly leaf, little stem or roughage. It does not grow tall and is a lawn grass. I guess the easies way to explain it would be that the hores are only eating the richest part. The lush part.

I have centipede in my yard and I let my horses eat it. But it is not their main forage. If a horse eats centipede and makes deposits in your pasture, the seeds may grow. Centipede will take over any pasture grass I know of. Then you have a beautiful SHORT pasture with little forage.:)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
    juliesowner likes this.
  5. juliesowner

Oh ok. So centipede is ok it just shouldn't be their only grass?

Thanks. :)

6. cowgurl1811

cowgurl1811 Senior Member+

I know this is not my thread but thanks for the Centipede information. I just wasnt sure b/c I always trailor my horse to my house and ride and I just wanted to make sure if she ate the grass she wouldnt kill over! lol.

juliesowner likes this.
  7. 3WishesDun

3WishesDun Senior Member+

Bahia grass is one of the most common here in cental Florida- its drought tolerant, does well on most soils, even in sandy areas, easily sown from seed, once established it reseeds itself-growing long stalks with little seeds attached. I just planted 80 pounds of the Tifton 9 variety seed 2 months ago-and its coming up like gangbusters...here's some info from the website I order it from...
    BAHIAGRASS Paspalum Notatum

FarmSeeds.com
    Bahia grass is a warm season perennial , dense tufted bunchgrass. It produces numerous leaves up to 12 inches in length and the plant can reach heights of 1 to 2.5 feet tall. Has erect stems that produce a Y shaped forked seed head which is considered visually objectionable by some individuals, when left un-mowed in lawns.

Origin:
    Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay.
    Description:
    Perennial.
    Primary Adaption:
    Best on sandy soils. Bahia is also tolerant of drought and poor drainage.
    Uses: Pasture, hay and erosion control - some lesser quality turf areas.
    Planting Rate: 15-25lbs. an acre in March or April.
    Fertilization: Tolerant of low fertility and soil acidity. Responds to nitrogen and potassium. Obtain a soil test - lime may be required for best performance.
    Seasonal Production: April-October
    Management: When in pasture use, close grazing is desirable. Over-seed with winter annuals if desired. Very prolific in warm weather with adequate moisture.
    Pests:
    Not usually a problem.

FarmSeeds.com
    Bahiagrass forms a dense tough sod even on droughty and sandy soils. Grows well also in wet soils and spreads by seed and heavy short vegetative runners (and short rhizomes). Used for pastures, lawns, erosion control, roadsides throughout the South Eastern USA. Variety Argentine Bahia is less cold tolerant and adapted more to coastal areas of SE states. Currently three popular varieties (Pensacola, Tifton 9, Argentine), with a few more either under development or less used.

BUY PASTURE &
    FORAGE SEEDS
    FROM SEEDLAND.COM

PLANTING RATES:
    Lawns: 8-10 lbs. / per 1000 sq. ft.
    Pastures: 20-50 lbs. per acre.
    Tifton-9 can be planted at 10-25 lbs. / acre. Lawns must be planted at high seeding rates to create proper thickness of plants per sq. ft.
    Plant on prepared seed bed in spring through early summer (July / Aug). Plant 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep.
    More information at Bahiagrass.com.
    Contact Seedland.com for quotes on 1000+ lbs

juliesowner likes this.
  8. juliesowner

Thanks for the help. :) It is definitly sandy here. :rolleyez:

9. James Robert

James Robert Senior Member

I have 3 FAT FAT horses in a pasture of bahai mostly. There is some costal and sage grass. They seem to like it and there's plent of it.

We built our new house on part of this bahia field and our lawn is mostly bahia grass. I sware the shoots can grow at least 6 inches over night.

JR

10. Nursestephanie2

Nursestephanie2 Senior Member

I am SOOO happy to find this post. My new place has sandy loam and I have been thinking about planting tifton 9 in the spring. Do you remember what month you planted yours? I would also be curious to see any before and after photos if you had them lol. Thank you