Back injuries

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JinxedDream, Feb 4, 2018.

1. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

It's been a while... because January 2, I was in a bad single vehicle crash. I fractured multiple vertebrae, the most severe one at T5 (or T4, doctor's notes are conflicting). So now I'm waiting for that to heal.

I have two horses. One is broke to ride, but likes to be an idiot after a long vacation. I haven't ridden him since October 7th, we got a lot of ice here this winter. The other is supposed to be broke to ride, I bought him in September in poor condition so never bothered to even try to ride him.

My family wants me to sell out and buy a lazy old QH or something. I don't. I spent all summer looking for a lazy old QH for my BF to ride and never found one... all of the horses I test rode were far more dangerous than the gelding I own. I also know my gelding pretty good, I know how he rides.

Does anyone ride with back injuries similar to mine? How long did you stay out of the saddle for? My doctor has been rather unhelpful, he just said and I quote "try not to fall off horses." I'm still in a brace at the moment, not allowed to do anything until it comes off. My intention is to find someone and pay them to ride both horses for a month or so, get 30 days of regular work into them. Does this sound reasonable? I trust my gelding after the spring bouncing is worked out.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Yeah, I was riding with my back injury and got me a sensible QH and my Mule Millie, who, is now for sale because I got a shoulder injury and am moving to Germany end of the year.

Mules, if they like ya, don't want you to come off. Millie stops when she feels you going off balance, like if you reach out for a branch. She'll stop, turn her head allll the way around and look at ya as if to say: “ Sit up there straight, Woman~!! What ya trynna do? Fall off? :confused::confused::confused:

:rofl:

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@JinxedDream is there any chance you can get a second opinion? Your doc sounds really unhelpful...
    Will you be getting pt as part of sour recovery?

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Such injuries often heal very well. I would just follow the doctor's directions and ride an old quiet school horse at a lesson barn for a few weeks, once you are cleared to start back up again, to get back to riding.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

It depends what else is going on. I have compression/slab fractures in 2 vertebrae - I still ride. My doc was also quite unhelpful at the time & the only thing he told me was "if it hurts, don't do it" - no brace, nothing. I was back on after 2 weeks, but I owned the dead quiet horse who I trusted my life to, as did everyone else around me. I wasn't back up training greenies for probably 3-6months afterwards.

I will tell you I was about 10 years till I was pain free. The 1st year + post accident I had to roll over onto my stomach & push myself up, I couldn't just go from laying down to sitting up. No PT for me - Doc never suggested it. So I'm sure that had something to do with it. I'm stronger now than I was 2 years after the accident, but if you know me well enough, you can see the accident in my everyday life no matter how well I work to hide it.

I would get into PT and do massage/osteo/chiro work to help the muscles around the factored areas - they will be over compensating a lot and you'll want to sort that out as best as possible. As for riding, take your time. There's no rush......Remember once the fractured areas have healed, they will be the strongest bones in your body........providing you don't have another reason that they broke (ie: osteoporosis)

6. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Yep, my sister and I were also involved in a serious single car accident when I was 16. Sister walked away with glass scratches, I had broken vertebrae T6-11 (T10 was crushed and they contemplated putting a cage around it). I had surgery where they put 2 rods in. I was in a brace for about 3.5 months, and cleared to start riding (and even jumping on the tramp, which the Dr. said he despises) at about 4- 4.5 months post surgery. I didn't have any PT, it was never mentioned at all, they just mentioned it would be good to try to not fall off.

I had solid trustworthy horses at the time, but I've been riding colts off and on since maybe a year after the accident, and my two current horses are coming 2 and 3. The 3 year old has a little bronc in her, unfortunately.

I have more or less been pain free since day 1, but its been important to keep my ab muscles strong or else my back muscles will tighten up when I ride.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    JinxedDream likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Like we all take to the saddle with the intent of an unplanned dismount!! My Docs mentioned it to me as well, after the fall.

Never had a back issue like you have @JinxedDream so have nothing constructive to add, just jingles for a full recovery, and quiet horses!

JinxedDream likes this.
  8. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Get a horse you're comfortable with and if it has a good walk even better. If you're worried about the horse playing up at first get someone to ride it for you focusing on calm and quiet.

Also from personal experience a body protector can be handy, my back really plays up on even mild bumps so the padding really helps.

JinxedDream likes this.
  9. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

Wow, no brace?! That's crazy to me. I don't plan to rush into riding, I wasn't going to try until well into spring. So that would be 5 months post-injury. I might end up in PT, my shoulder is fairly torn up. Not cleared for anything else yet. I go back for x-rays on the 21st.

Thank you everyone! This makes me feel better. My family is just super concerned. A very good family friend had a similar accident and fractured the same vertebrae, but she's paralyzed from the waist down. So that adds a whole new worry for them.

10. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

My neighbor/vet had a horse buck him off and break his back, I don't know much about the actual injury, but he still rides and goes up the mountain to gather or check cows several times a year. His FIL also broke his back on a snowmobile and has since started riding without any issues either.

You need to be careful, but like Rn'B said, the breaks should heal up to be stronger than the rest and you should be fine.

JinxedDream likes this.