Back in the Saddle- Mom edition

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by cowgirlcasanova, Feb 10, 2019.

1. cowgirlcasanova

cowgirlcasanova Full Member

Howdy, guys!

It's been a hot minute since I've really been able to post much. My daughter's almost two and a half (!!!!!!!) and I'm finally allowing myself some 'me' time, in the form of horses.

It's been a LONG time since I've really ridden. I've done a few walk/trot trail rides since my last big fall, but the last time my butt was in a saddle was the summer of '15.

I've gained a lot of weight (which is a battle that I'm tackling) and I'm really worried that my balance isn't gonna be what it was. I'm worried that I'm gonna make a stupid mistake and fall again. I'm worried about the entire thing, honestly. But I know I need it. I went and visited my mom's best friend's horses last week and it sealed the deal.

So after a LOT of searching (the Albany, NY area is AWFUL) I finally found a barn that does western lessons. On top of that, they also do year-round trail rides! I'm gonna take a trail ride there either this weekend or early next week, depending on the weather, and see what I think of the horses and the facility, and hopefully be able to take consistent lessons again!

This is gonna be a post to document my progress. I'm gonna ask now, well in advance, to not critique my form at first. There's a lot of anxiety going into this and I know I'm not going to be in top form. But I do want to share them, mostly so I can look back on them and think- wow, I did this.

Okay, done blabbering now. <3 Thank you guys for following along!

PS: I attached a picture of the first time I took lessons, because if there's one thing I've learned on this site- a thread is nothing without pictures!

Attached Files:

Binca, ginster, equinitis and 3 others like this.
  2. heartland

heartland Senior Member

Take a deep breath and enjoy your time back in the saddle! You got this! I’ve ridden twice in the past two weeks after having my second baby in November and I can’t wait to find a barn to get back to riding regularly as well!

3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself to be perfect.

Just go have fun. Enjoy some free time.

No your balance and riding won't be the same. Your body has changed. But you will remember and become comfortable again.

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Welcome back!

Ditto to the others, just have fun. Easier said than done for sure but try to remember you are doing this for you and no one else.

5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Agree on the having fun. If you need a crash course in balance, go bareback at a walk. You'll find those core muscles back in no time, even just at a walk.

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Breathe!! And have fun. Don't pressure yourself too much.
    If you fall off, you fall off. Happens to all of us.. *shrugs*
    Enjoy your horsey time!