Back from NJ AQHA show

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by GotaDunQH, May 2, 2017.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I got back Sunday at midnight (ugh!) from my first AQHA show this year. We went down to New Jersey at the Dream Park...I love that place!! I showed Roger in Amateur WP and placed 5,5. I showed him in Aged Halter Geldings for the first time, and because he's not a ball of fire...it took a little bit of urging to have him trot out. We placed 4,4,4 and 5....the top 3 horses were REAL halter horses, so I was happy. Then my trainer threw to me to the wolves and said....you are doing Level 1 Horsemanship today. Roger has never done Horsemanship so it was our first attempt together. Well, 19 head in the class....we walked out with two 6ths....I was VERY happy. My trainer showed him one handed (still working on getting hims solid) in Green WP and got 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths. I showed him in the bosal in WP & HMS. And a couple of pics from the HMS class.
    Hms1.jpg

Hms2.jpg

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Congrats, nice work! Glad it was a good trip. Ive heard the Dream Park is v v nice but havent been there.

*did you give the prerequisite shout out of local members names from the turnpike on the way by? ;) :cautious:

3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

One of the members here, who owns the lovely Kelly and her filly...didn't come but will be there in June!

4. windblown

windblown Senior Member

Love your shirt and your horse! You're always turned out impeccably!

I do have a random question. You're able to move back and forth between showing with one hand or two? At AHA shows, once a horse shows one handed, they have to stay there. They can't go back to the bosal. So, that was news to me!

5. IslandEquestrian

IslandEquestrian Registered

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Congratulations-!!

7. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Congrats again! I saw it on FB but he is coming along so nice.

kodemiester and GotaDunQH like this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

In AQHA, a Jr horse can be shown one or two handed until they turn 6. Once they hit 6, it's only one handed, UNLESS you show in a Level 1 (Novice Amateur class).

VermilionStrife and windblown like this.
  9. windblown

windblown Senior Member

Thank you! Very different than AHA then! Once a horse is 6, it has to go one handed. As a Jr. Horse (ages 3-5), they can go in a snaffle or bosal. Once they show in a curb, they can no longer compete in a Jr. Horse class regardless of age, nor can they go back to a bosal/snaffle for showing.