Baby Ren's Training

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Wild at Heart, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Registered

Hey there fellow horse people :)

So a week ago, I got an amazing little 6 month old filly who I've named Ren. Her breed is unknown since both her parents came off a reserve were they were running free, though my guess is she's a paint, quarter horse cross. One of my great aunts things there might be a bit of arabian in her too due to her facial features.

Anyways, so I've started my training with this little cutie. She's super calm and curious which helps a lot when it comes to training since it means there's no fireworks or sudden outbursts lol. So if she doesn't like something initially, she just backs up and walks sideways, but doesn't rush off or bolt, even if I have no halter or lead rope keeping her with me.

Also, after about 5ish days of working with leading, stopping, and asking for her to back up, she's pretty much perfect at it. She actually didn't even know about backing up until I introduced it to her. And the very next day, when I asked her to back up, I only had to do the lightest pressure on her halter, and she backed up instantly like we'd practiced it a million times before.

So today, I've started to work on teaching her to give her hindquarters and move them away when asked to do so. By the 3rd or 4th time, she had it figured out. Also working on getting her to give her feet as well since she needs to get her feet trimmed, though first I need to get her prepared for it since at this point, that would just freak her out and probably set her training back.

Other than that, what would you guys suggest to work on teaching her next?
    [​IMG]

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  2. iloverockies

iloverockies Senior Member

Sounds like she is doing wonderful. You mention a halter and lead rope but don't say if she is good with that yet. I would work on that if not and just her feet so farrier can come but other than that sounds like she is doing fantastic.

Kim

ginster likes this.
  3. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

She's a cutie! I would agree with ^^^ regarding handling of her feet. Learning to tie is also very important. I also try to get them used to having their mouths/eyes/ears/butt (for temps) being handled in prep for future vet visits/deworming etc. Essentially, lots of handling.

ginster and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  4. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

With my colt I worked a lot on him picking up his hooves so he'd be an angel for the farrier (if you want to keep a good one you need to have a behaved horse IMO). I'd just do it when I groomed him and would pick out every hoof even if it took him awhile to figure it out. In the first times you try this have someone hold the lead rope rather than tying her up because no matter how well she behaves she might freakout. I still hold my horse for the farrier even though he's good.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

What they said.
    Just go slow and don´t overdo it. Which is easy if they learn so fast...

6. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Registered

She was semi halter broke when she showed up, but now is doing great with it. It's not often she refuses to follow, and even if she does, it's only for a few seconds and then she follows perfectly again.

Ya, I hope to teach her to tie soon. First getting her a little more used to giving in to the pressure though to prepare her a bit more for that. As for the rest, she's 100% ok with me touching anywhere on her body. I can reach under her to touch the leg on the opposite side, touch her belly, play with her tail, drape myself over her body (without actually putting pressure on her) and so on which is really nice.

That's what I'm starting to work on a lot more now too since I hope to have her well prepared for when the farrier comes. She's getting better, but it seems out of everything, she's more reluctant to oblige with giving her feet than any other training so far, but it's not too bad and she is learning.

Ya, that's why I'm following her cues. I'm letting her decide just how fast we go with things. However it's shocking that after only 5/6 days, she's already pretty much perfect with backing up, moving her hindquarters, and everything else I've mentioned. She's easier to work with than a 5 year old green broke mare I've worked with before that knew more than Ren does xD

Is it even normal for a filly to learn so fast and be unbelievably calm about everything like this? Or is she just a special case of being a naturally good tempered and calm horse?

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

6 mths old. Back off some. She has the brain of a one year old child. Let her be a horse. Just do leading, loading foot handling, grooming and let her be out with a herd so she learns to be a horse.

ginster likes this.
  8. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Registered

I don't do a lot of stuff with her. A training session is pretty much only 10 mins long roughly, only once a day, and I'm not pushing her. I spend more time just hanging out with her in the pasture and getting to know her like that. And she is with other horses so she's getting plenty of socialization as well to know how to be a horse :)

9. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Like others said just hit the things you see in sale ads : leads, loads, ties, good with their mouth/feet/ears/tail/udder, etc. I love having them watch me work my other horses at that age, the stuff they soak up is amazing. My yearling learned all his voice commands just watching the other two. I was shocked, lol, but quite pleased. So, uh, don't work a naughty one around her, lol.

ginster, Baboo and Wild at Heart like this.