Baby cows for Nu5ha.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Sep 19, 2017.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

It's all relative. I grew up in Vermont. I know what "right next door" means. :)

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

What I am referring to is the 'you can't get there from here that way because that road is closed due to snow/ice/mud swamp. First you gotta go here, and then you go back towards there.'

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

*snort* "Road closed" signs are for flatlanders. It's our way of keeping them out of trouble. I lived for 38 years in Vermont, never owned a 4-wheel-drive and never got stuck in anything I couldn't get out of. And I mostly drove small cars.

True story: first question I ask every car salesman when I get in for a test drive - "how's it go in the woods?" Never made anyone bat an eye in Vermont but here in the Bay Area, they get nervous. :rofl:

As for directions, they make perfect sense. "You know Dave Emmitt's sugarhouse? Turn left half a mile before that." Doesn't get much easier than that. :D

4. slc

slc Senior Member

That's very noble, but there were roads that were impassable with the kind of car I had. The type of tire just did not get any grip and snow tires would have been marginally better only, and that was according to long-time residents. And there were roads that the residents there - long term residents - did not and would not use. Especially going up some of the steep ridges, the oxbow roads, there were simply some roads that were impassible. They were extremely steep and they did not have cuts along the side to drain them. If not in winter due to ice, in spring due to softening due to thaws.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Some roads are just bad. I live on one of them.
    Buuuutttttt I will also discourage flatlanders from going down my road at certain points of the year by insisting that 'I don't even use this road, and I live here!', which is a bald-faced lie 85% of the time.
    Half of the battle is knowing the road well enough to know where you can go, and sometimes knowing not to go on it at all.
    BUT, since someone not from around here is lacking the knowledge required to drive the road safely, it is easier to discourage them from taking it at all however you can, rather than haul them out of the mud/snow/ditch/cow pond later.

froglander, Arem and bellalou like this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Noble? You mean the part about road closed signs?

Everyone has their own experiences. I was born in Vermont in 1961 and I lived there until 1999. I lived in dirt roads in the mountains for the majority of that time. I’ve driven roads that end up with mud so deep you could lose a good-sized cow in it.

Yeah, the roads in Vermont get bad in Mud Season. If you live there, you accept it. If you live on one of those roads, you learn how to drive it, as Dona said. Your experiences are yours and mine are mine. The only occasion I can recall when I actually couldn’t get to where I wanted to get was in July of 1997 when a friend and I were driving to Grafton and ran into a flash flood. Nearly got trapped but were able to turn around. But the town was cut off for weeks after that.

Dona Worry and Arem like this.
  8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

OK road people, stop scarin the babies :confused:

Watch him grow up to be a one-ton'ner whose name is "Tiny" :confused: ;)
    *which would be sort of a shame because hes so frickin Cute on the small side.

ginster, Sam C., kodemiester and 3 others like this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Tiny Tim is so tiny I could still carry him through a closed road if I needed to!

10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@hamerface Nu5ha hasn't been o n here in months now. She stopped dropping in after Kelly got into a feedbag and colicked with starting laminitis in her last posts. She also mentioned something abt. her family.
    On instagram she posted a pic of a seemingly new grey horse so we're pretty worried....

Arem likes this.