Baby cows for Nu5ha.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Sep 19, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

AWWWWW!! :loveflag::loveflag: :faint:

How are they still worthless when their Cute Value is Off the Charts?? (y);)

VermilionStrife and Dona Worry like this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Isn't he just adorable??? Pitty they don't stay this size!

CJ likes this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Must. Have. Pet. Cow. :eek2::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::loveflag::loveflag::loveflag::faint:

mygirl1197, Dona Worry and CJ like this.
  4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

How did the lowline mini cows get started?
    Maybe you have the starter for half-stein holsteins ..:idea: ;)

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Well you know, if you moved to VT you'd be right next door and I could drop him off for you....

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Mini milk cows would totally sell. :p

kodemiester and Dona Worry like this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

*packs frantically*

8. slc

slc Senior Member

They already exist. And are in demand.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Well, some of the really small cows appear to be small due to some dwarfing genes or partial dwarfing genes.

There are a couple breeds of cattle that have always been rather small. I think that in many full size breeds, cows can run around 1400 lbs and bulls as much as 2000 lbs. So in a 'naturally small' breed the cows would run 600-800 lbs.

But that is where I get a bit confused. There is a 'Dexter' cattle breed from the British Isles that is small, and I think that's where the 'Dexter' gene originally came from(or is suspected to have come from). And I think it's that gene (or those genes) that cause unusually short legs('lowline') and other dwarf characteristics.

My friend's dad bred Hereford cattle and was soooooo proud when he finally got his first 'Dexter calf', which was what they called a dwarf bovine occurring by accident in any breed some years ago. And maybe still do.

And here's my stupid question for the day on cattle: do cattle always have 'cow pie' loose poops? Do they have that sort of poop because of the commercial, high production diet, and have more solid poop when fed something (anything...) else? I think it would be tough to clean up after a cow - tougher than cleaning up after a horse.

And another fascinating fact is that the grass and hay fed YAKS I ran into in Asia appeared to not have quite as sloppy poops as the cattle. Maybe I need a yak.

If I thought that a cow would make a good turnout pal for Wuss Horse, I might get one locally, especially if it seemed she wouldn't get too big.

My friend had a gorgeous Brown Swiss cow, she just died. I didn't get to ask him about it yet. His helper said due to 'holes in its stomach'. That was a surprise to me.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

One thing I learned in Vermont is that this time of year, nothing is 'right next door' to anything else.